Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am stuck on the fence between a Cobb accessport v3, and a unleashed tunning x,x4 from what I've seen the unleashed x, and x4 offer the biggest tq, and hp gains after plug in and upload. But I'm wondering if anyone has input on the ease of uploading future tunes to any of these. A tuner, and cold air intake will be my first upgrades for my 2017 Ecoboost so I will be hooking the tuner up on a pretty much stock system therefore coming back to my previous question about the ease of future tunning when I hook up a 3 inch downpipe, exaust, intercooler, and charge pipes. I don't ever plan on hooking up nos so no need for a tuner adaptable for it, everything I will upgrade in the future will be strictly engine, and bolt ons

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Well personally I wouldn't use horsepower and torque claims as a basis for purchasing a hand-held tuner. Maybe the offerings from Unleashed are running closer to the ragged edge then those from Cobb hence the higher overall HP/TQ ratings. I'd rather give up a couple HP & TQ and have a safe tune over the alternative.

U.M.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I think I've come to the conclusion that I am going to end up going with a Cobb v3 more than likely because of the ease of future programming, and wide variety of legit tuners available, since how this will be just the stepping stone of my upgrades I know there will be plenty of tunes to come in the future

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Yea I think I've come to the conclusion that I am going to end up going with a Cobb v3 more than likely because of the ease of future programming, and wide variety of legit tuners available, since how this will be just the stepping stone of my upgrades I know there will be plenty of tunes to come in the future
That sounds like a better plan. A custom tune on the dyno by an experienced tuner is going to be your best bet. I was never a big fan of "Canned Tunes" because they are generic and have to account for some variances between cars. Custom tune is always going to be your best bet. ;)

U.M.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm glad I came across this thread. I'm also considering a tune and am floundering back and forth between all the options. Originally, I was looking at the Cobb v3, but I don't think that is the best bang for my buck. From there I moved to Unleashed, but like Uncle Meat said Unleashed is, "...running closer to the ragged edge...", and that scares me a little. The last thing I want to do is blow up my engine after voiding the warranty with a tune.
Right now, I'm considering the Roush Performance Pac tune since I have a Roush CAI and the quad tip exhaust. The bad part is the tune itself is $400 and $125 for install at the dealership. This is for only 1 tune, but I keep my warranty. The other option is the Bama tune with the Rev-X tuner. It provides comparable gains to the Roush and Cobb v3; however, you get free tunes for life from Bama. I'm so confused and undecided as to what would be the best route.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
I'm glad I came across this thread. I'm also considering a tune and am floundering back and forth between all the options. Originally, I was looking at the Cobb v3, but I don't think that is the best bang for my buck. From there I moved to Unleashed, but like Uncle Meat said Unleashed is, "...running closer to the ragged edge...", and that scares me a little. The last thing I want to do is blow up my engine after voiding the warranty with a tune.
Right now, I'm considering the Roush Performance Pac tune since I have a Roush CAI and the quad tip exhaust. The bad part is the tune itself is $400 and $125 for install at the dealership. This is for only 1 tune, but I keep my warranty. The other option is the Bama tune with the Rev-X tuner. It provides comparable gains to the Roush and Cobb v3; however, you get free tunes for life from Bama. I'm so confused and undecided as to what would be the best route.
Well how concerned are you about maintaining your warranty?

U.M.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm not THAT concerned about keeping the warranty so long as my risk is mitigated. On the other hand, I want a tune with the most noticeable increases for the least noticeable costs. LOL

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
I'm not THAT concerned about keeping the warranty so long as my risk is mitigated. On the other hand, I want a tune with the most noticeable increases for the least noticeable costs. LOL
Have you searched around for tuners in your local area you can work with? Any major performance dyno shops you know of? The best way to go if feasible is to find someone who tunes cars locally and use them. If that's not a possibility then I would go with something like what is offered from 'Bama tunes where they will provide free tunes for life. They will show you how to datalog your car and then you send them the results and they can fine tune the tune.

U.M.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only concern I have with bama, not bashing their name but with it being a free tune instead of me paying for it, I would be concerned if they were actually putting the best combo or if I would end up doing multiple retunes just to bump up one tune like say if I was going through adamtuned.com where I would more than likely only have to retune once if even that from what I've heard about him

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
from what I've heard about the roush tune from a guy I race with that works at Ford the tune is kinda pointless it claims to bump up your hp and tq, but I bought my Ecoboost as a stock Ecoboost no tune or anything besides for the premium bundle(it even still has a speed limiter) and he said I'm running the same numbers in 1/8 and 1/4 as people that has the roush tune. Now idk mine might have the tune but for some reason not have the speed limiter deleted but to what I've understood all aftermarket tunes will delete the speed limiter

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
from what I've heard about the roush tune from a guy I race with that works at Ford the tune is kinda pointless it claims to bump up your hp and tq, but I bought my Ecoboost as a stock Ecoboost no tune or anything besides for the premium bundle(it even still has a speed limiter) and he said I'm running the same numbers in 1/8 and 1/4 as people that has the roush tune. Now idk mine might have the tune but for some reason not have the speed limiter deleted but to what I've understood all aftermarket tunes will delete the speed limiter
and like you said it's right at the same price as it would be for a accessport with multiple tunes, maybe actually a little more depending on where you can find the accessport from, to me the accessport is just more flexibility. Where I live we have 93 everywhere but when I go on a road trip I can always dial back to 91 with the accessport if needed.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeah, I've had to dial back from 93 to 91 octane a couple of times, and with the Cobb AP that's no big deal. Once when I was out east of nowhere I could only get 87 and had to crank it all the way back to Stage 0. If you want to remind yourself how much a good tune does for your car, that's a good way to do it. Really takes the wind out of your sails. I was so glad to refill with good gas, reset the tune, and get my car back to the way it's supposed to be.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you for the info on the Roush tune. That info just made me eliminate it from the list of possibilities. I do like the versatility of a handheld tuner, so now it will come down to Cobb or SCT. I like the idea of changing the tune on the fly with a Cobb, but I like the downloading of tunes and updates from the cloud with the SCT. Now it's time to see if I can find a good deal on one of these bad boys, but I'm leaning towards Cobb for the wide variety of legit tuners as @Bbearden101 said.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts