Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell me your thoughts on OEM plugs versus after market plugs. I am changing mine over the winter and I want to get the best for my car.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I put in Iridium NGK's and noticed the instant I started it up that it was smoother. No big difference in power or economy, though.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Considering the OEM spark plugs are designed to run 100,000 miles before requiring replacement. If you're not running higher boost there's no need to upgrade. Just wasting money IMHO.

U.M.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay... so have you read your stock plugs? Are you seeing something abnormal?

U.M.
No, I am not...just want to be sure I am not missing out on anything. Most people tell me that stock is fine and that it will not make much of a difference, but I like to hear different perspectives.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
No, I am not...just want to be sure I am not missing out on anything. Most people tell me that stock is fine and that it will not make much of a difference, but I like to hear different perspectives.
If the amount of boost you are running is not resulting in spark blowout and the plugs read properly then stick with the stockers. If you are seeing some spark blowout try reducing the gap by .002 and see if that helps. Depending on how the plugs read you may need to drop to a colder plug. However if you're not seeing any indications there's an issue with your stock plugs I'd just leave them alone. Don't fix what ain't broke!

U.M.

Reactions: jwmc1

·
Registered
6 Posts
As stated, you don't need to if you're not running more boost . Usually your tuner will up the boost reliably and then you can replace them for smoother driving (not substantial gains). I personally went with NGK and got mine from Tune+(not promoting him) because his came pregapped .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts