Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

Just got my grey 15' ecoboost 6spd manual with 22k miles the other day. It's a nice car and all, but the powerband leaves a bit to be desired. My goal would be lower 13's in the 1/4. For reference past cars I've had(07 Z06-503whp modded---07 z06 stock, 01 z06 modded, 89 GT vortech S trim, TW heads, etc....., multiple F bodies all modded.). I don't want to get into the black hole of continuous mods lol. I'm 45 now and just want something reliable and fun to drive. I dont' need 500whp anymore ;).

From my peanut brain limited knowledge I'm torn between that FRPP combo with the tune and airpack or a cob tuner and maybe upgrading the intercooler to something that will fit in the stock spot and not require any fab work. I can do the bolt on stuff myself so that's not a biggie. I have NO aptitude for tuning however as my LS1/6 days taught me to hire someone proper lol. I think the cobb would have much more potential, but the low cost of the Ford setup and a decent bump in power for the ease of the install has it's advantages too. Could maybe retain the warranty with the Ford too if I see an ASE tech for the certification/install etc....???

Also, I'm a bit dumb on what I would need to buy in order to do that intercooler upgrade. I don't know which one's are good or to strongly consider buying. Advice is welcome as well and the pluses and minuses of certain choices if you wouldn't mind giving advice.

I guess in the end, I need some advice on say, well with the Ford you'll get XYZ gains and it will cost $$$, or with the Cobb/intercooler you'll get these gains XYZ and cost $$$$. Or maybye my Cobb plan is dumb and I'd need other parts to make it work well????

Otherwise, aside from being the "stripper model" man this thing seems loaded lol. Backup camera, base stereo seems to rock enough for this 45 yr old dude. Seats are decent and are better than my 70k Z06's lol. Seems like a fun car to drive, but after 5k the power is choppy ?? Could use something for sure IMO.

·
Registered
4 Posts
John,
There are a lot of sites out there advertising a lot of Ecoboost parts. The best bet is to go to YouTube and start searching what others have done. I'm put off by the cost of a lot of the parts that are out there, even now that the 2018's are coming out. No matter what parts you get, you can't get max performance without springing for a tune. So the end result is no matter how much you spend, you have to spend that extra 300-700 for the tune.
It is nice that it is that easy, but the trick is to spend more money...I'm kind of close to retirement, so maybe I'll just enjoy the current setup, and finish my '66 Tempest project.

WELCOME!! I know you'll find what you need, just keep looking (I'm secretly doing the same, don't let the wife know!)

·
Registered
119 Posts
if I were you I would not touch the car. Ford will poop in their beer if you mod anything. Anything you do they will use against you to void warranties. if you put aftermarket seat covers on your mustang, and it blows an engine, they would do what they could to blame the seat covers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts