Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Ecoboost Convertible
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I attempted to use the trusty lug wrench from the trunk to remove a wheel. Not so much. The lug wrench is too small for the lug nuts on the car. I tried to fit it on all the lugs on all the wheels. No joy.

I went through my collection of sockets and found that a 22mm socket is the best fit. My 4-way doesn't have a choice that fits suitably. The 7/8ths is a little large and the 13/16th (the lug wrench size) is too small.

I examined a few of the lugs when I removed them and they don't look deformed. They are the OEM chrome cap over steel 2-piece design. Is this a normal problem?

I checked the local auto parts store for aftermarket lugs and they are all 22mm. They claim on the packaging that they will NOT fit the OEM lug wrench. I'm really confused. Did Ford design the wrench & lugs intentionally to PREVENT the customer from changing a flat in the field?

I'll have to start carrying around a 22mm socket & breaker bar for now. The rattling will drive me crazy until I can figure out a better solution.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ditch the POS OEM lug nuts and get a set of Gorilla lug nuts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Start carrying a collection of sizes if you intend to keep the stock two piece lug nuts. They don't usually look "deformed" and swell fairly evenly. As they continue to swell you will need bigger sockets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I attempted to use the trusty lug wrench from the trunk to remove a wheel. Not so much. The lug wrench is too small for the lug nuts on the car. I tried to fit it on all the lugs on all the wheels. No joy.

I went through my collection of sockets and found that a 22mm socket is the best fit. My 4-way doesn't have a choice that fits suitably. The 7/8ths is a little large and the 13/16th (the lug wrench size) is too small.

I examined a few of the lugs when I removed them and they don't look deformed. They are the OEM chrome cap over steel 2-piece design. Is this a normal problem?

I checked the local auto parts store for aftermarket lugs and they are all 22mm. They claim on the packaging that they will NOT fit the OEM lug wrench. I'm really confused. Did Ford design the wrench & lugs intentionally to PREVENT the customer from changing a flat in the field?

I'll have to start carrying around a 22mm socket & breaker bar for now. The rattling will drive me crazy until I can figure out a better solution.
21.5mm socket, Snap-on or Mac tool. Factory nuts swell over time. Best to replace with aftermarket. Chrysler/Dodge has the same problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts