Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

Downpipe

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Uncle Meat 
#1 ·
I have had my EB mustang since Feb. 2015. I had my downpipes installed in the summer of 2015 and it is catted. I have never had problems with it. Late this summer I began to hear a pinging/rattling sound when I push down on the throttle hard and when the turbo gauge hits 20 (it either hits 20 or looks like it hits 20). I took it to Ford and they said I should use better gas which is bullshit because I only use 91 octane. I took it a second time and they said they don't know what it is. A month or two after this pinging/rattling sound I had a cylinder head and gasket break. So I took it to Ford and they gave me a new engine, this was done in September 2017. The rattling/pinging sound was still there after they gave me a new engine. Three weeks later after I broke in the new engine and was very careful and fragile with the car, but then after accelerating a little fast (did not get to 100 mph) the same thing happened where a bunch of white smoke is coming out the back and a cylinder head broke but idk if it is the same one or not.

Basically I want to know what is the pinging/rattling sound and can a downpipes be the cause of my engine problems and cylinder head breaking?

Thank you and I am new to the forum.

#2 ·
I've had a cat convertor go bad on me before (not on my ecoboost) and it would rattle. The cat's internal honeycomb structure melted a bit and a chunk of it broke off. When you hit the gas hard the chunk of loose honeycomb material in the cat would roll to the back end of the cat due to the force of acceleration. Once it rolled back it blocked the exhaust from leaving the aft portion of the cat causing immense back pressure. I can only imagine the amount of back pressure there would be if this happened on a turbo equipped car! Could that immense back pressure cause you to blow a head gasket? Maybe... If I were you I'd remove the down pipe and shake it... do you hear something loose and moving around inside?

U.M.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.