Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the Ford dealership tried to install my performance pack today, but the car wouldn't take the software, they couldn't flash the pcm, so there is a no go there. Anybody have trouble with ford performance tunes? what could cause the pcm not to flash?

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
the Ford dealership tried to install my performance pack today, but the car wouldn't take the software, they couldn't flash the pcm, so there is a no go there. Anybody have trouble with ford performance tunes? what could cause the pcm not to flash?
I completely missed this post when you made it. 9 times out of 10 when they can't reflash the PCM is because there's already a modified calibration residing in there. At least that's what I've seen from similar previous instances.

U.M.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was able to get my pcm flashed. the problem was the OBD port seems stubborn so it took a few tries to get the interface for the pro cal 3 calibration to power on. plus the interface was picky to which usb port on my laptop it liked to work with.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
I was able to get my pcm flashed. the problem was the OBD port seems stubborn so it took a few tries to get the interface for the pro cal 3 calibration to power on. plus the interface was picky to which usb port on my laptop it liked to work with.
Now I am a bit confused. So you, not Ford, installed the genuine Ford PP tune?

U.M.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Ford couldn't do it, I had a performance shop do it
So you are not running the "Ford Approved & Supplied" calibration? You are running a custom tune from a third party?

U.M.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
no, I'm running the pro cal 3 tune from Ford performance
So your local Ford Service department was unable to flash your computer, however a local tuner got it to work. I'm surprised Ford isn't bitchin' about a 3rd party doing the install and then trying to void your power train warranty!

U.M.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
No, they went straight to blaming NGK sparkplugs lol
Oh! So the spark plugs weren't the stock ones huh? Do you happen to know what the model number was on those NGK's? Reason I ask is there really is no logical reason to replace the spark plugs on a stock Ecoboost at such a low mileage. Now if you were running more boost there is a logical reason to change to a plug with a different heat range. Did you swap out the stock Motorcraft plugs for the NGK's or did the previous owner?

Honestly the more little bits & pieces I read about your Ecoboost the more I tend to believe the previous owner had modified it and then possibly returned it back to stock before selling/trading it in.

U.M.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts