Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and thanks for reading,

I recently picked up a 2017 ecoboost prem last year. The first modifications I decided to get were aftermarket speakers. I had a local shop install 8 Hertz 4ohm components(skipped the center speaker). At first it sounded amazing then a tweeter on the driver side failed. I had it replaced, then it failed again and got replaced again. Now one of the 6 inch speakers on the passenger side started to crackle and then the tweeter on that side went out.

I paid a decent amount for the speakers I didnt go with the cheapest of anything. But I cannot figure out why this keeps happening. Ive been looking online and ive not found a way to resolve this issue. The local shop wants to check the factor amp and signals which is fine but they said if its the amp they want to rewire all the components install a new amp and run me another 1k. While I am all for having the amazing sound blarring out my car id rather not visit this local shop every week or other and have to schedule an appointment to get these speakers repaired.

Has anyone else had issues with their speakers blowing out? Do you think the factory amp is causing it? I looked around online on how to bypass the amp and its way more complicated than it was back in the 90s where you run three wires to an amp and connect the speakers. Any help insight or whatever you got would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
It sounds like your speakers don't match the output specifications of the amp. The max power ratings and correct impedance values are probably the main things you need to match up between your amp and speakers. Playing your music too loud can also cause a blown speaker. You should also test your blown speaker to confirm if it's truly "blown" vs. some other electrical issue outside of the speaker itself. If you don't first determine the root cause, then throwing new replacement parts at the problem can cost you a lot of unnecessary expenses and time. You can refer to this link to confirm if your speaker is blown: Did your speakers break? How to test for a blown speaker

·
Registered
6 Posts
CPC is on the right track. The speaker impedance of the replacement speakers must match exactely with the impedance of the speakers being replaced. Installing a 4 ohm speaker in place of an 8 ohm speaker is allowing twice the voltage thru the speaker. Are the speakers blow or just "clipping", do you or the shop doing your work know the difference?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts