Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So earlier today I was in a drive it was about 95 degrees outside and I got a warning saying my engine coolant temperature was high. I look at my temp gauge and it is all the way to the right. My cylinder head temp was at almost 225. Luckily I was basically to the parking lot where I was going so, I parked and I checked my coolant level and it was very very low. I topped it off then drove maybe half a mile home. On my drive home I noticed my a/c was not blowing cold at all then when I got home I saw my a/c compressor is not spinning. All the fuses and relays are good but it still pops up with the warning for the coolant temp but my cylinder head temp was at 180 and it still gave me the warning. What do y’all think it could be?

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Not entirely sure to be honest. However the car is probably going into "Limp Mode" due to the overheating. That would explain why the A/C doesn't work. After the car has been sitting for a few hours trying starting it up and immediately turning on the A/C again and check to see if the compressor is spinning.

This guy had a similar issue with temps. PM him and see what his issue/fix was.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think the ect sensor is out. I left the car over night in the garage and as soon as I turned it on the a/c compressor still doesn’t spin as well as I get the same warning that it’s overheating even though the engine is cold.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
i think the ect sensor is out. I left the car over night in the garage and as soon as I turned it on the a/c compressor still doesn’t spin as well as I get the same warning that it’s overheating even though the engine is cold.
ECT or CTS? CTS = Coolant Temp Sensor.
Run it past Autozone and have them read the codes. If the CTS is bad you can get a new one pretty cheap and replace it yourself.

U.M.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update!
Took it to the shop just cause I have work and can’t deal with it this morning. Apparently it was in some sort of “limp mode” to where the car detects that it over heating one time and frys to save itself by not allowing that warning to go away until the ecu is reset with like a code reader or something along those lines. That “limp mode” will do some of the following: show the engine coolant temp warning, disable the a/c compressor from spinning (and thus the a/c from getting cold), as well as it will limit the speed you can drive the car, as well as make the air fuel mixture very lean which my cause black smoke out of the car and plumit your gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
So it was in limp mode as I had initially thought, but the ECM stores what's known as a "Soft Code" which kept it in that mode until cleared. Soft Codes can also be cleared from the ECM simply by disconnecting the battery and pumping the brake a few times.

U.M.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cooling fan, water pump, thermostat, head gasket, hose, radiator, just about everything involved with the cooling is suspect at this point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts