So dead around here... so I thought I'd show ya my ZO6 mods. - Mustang Ecoboost Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-18-2019, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Wink So dead around here... so I thought I'd show ya my ZO6 mods.

So there's been very little posting going on for a while now. I really have nothing new to report as far as the wife's '16 Ecoboost. I imagine once I get her a new daily driver and I inherit her Mustang as my DD I'll start performing some mods on it, but for now it will stay stock. However I HAVE been busy modding my '09 ZO6. Although this is a "Mustang" site I know we're all gear heads and are united in our love of all things that make noise & go fast! So with all that said here's a little rundown on what I recently accomplished on my 'Vette.

I replaced all the shocks with DRM Bilsteins. I also replaced the front/rear sways bars with a beefier set from Johnny O'Connell. New OEM rotors and a set of Carbotech 1521 brake pads were installed all around. A set of Kooks Jet Hot coated LT's and a Kooks catted x-pipe replaced the stock exhaust setup. I also installed a MGW flat stick short throw shifter. A Halltech MF103 CAI was installed replacing my original Halltech Super Bee CAI. Last but not least I had all 4 of my OEM Competition Gray Spyder wheels stripped and powder coated and then wrapped in a new set of RE050a Pole Positions.

I then drove the car up to Detroit and dropped it off at Katech. Katech works closely with the GM Corvette race team and does a lot of work on their motors. I opted to have Katech perform a Stage II upgrade on my car. The upgrade consisted of the following:

-Camshaft - Torquer 116 (very mild cam)
-Katech C5-R timing chain
-PSI springs
-Katech Titanium retainers
-Bronze valve guides
-Katech Ti/Mo intake valves
-CNC ported cylinder heads
-FAST LSXR 102mm intake manifold
-FAST installation kit
-Wideband O2 bung
-Head gaskets
-ARP head bolts
-160 degree thermostat

Here's what my engine bay looks like now:

More pics of the upgrades:

Dyno sheet:

Here's a video Katech made of the car so I could hear what it sounded like (Crank it up!):

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2009 C6ZO6 - Katech Stage 2 #115
2005 Mustang V6 (Sold)
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)

Last edited by Uncle Meat; 12-19-2019 at 08:44 AM.
post #2 of 7 Old 12-22-2019, 01:01 PM
cpc

Garage
Congrats! Sounds and looks like one bad ass machine. Dyno printout proves it.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-22-2019, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post
Congrats! Sounds and looks like one bad ass machine. Dyno printout proves it.
Thanks. The rebuilt heads with beehive springs, titanium intake values, and hollow stem sodium filled exhaust valves are able to handle a much bigger cam. I could have opted for their K501 cam which would have put me close to 575 RWHP, but then the car would have had horrible low speed/off-idle drivability. 517 RWHP in a 3100lb car is plenty enough get-up-and-go for me.

U.M.

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2005 Mustang V6 (Sold)
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-22-2019, 07:04 PM
cpc

Garage
Good Lordy! You're talking about stuff I've never heard of before. But I see your point about too much HP/torque for low end controllability. I've read about this type of complaint regarding the Challenger Hellcat.

2006 Mustang Premium Convertible V6 (sold)
2017 Mustang Premium Convertible Ecoboost
post #5 of 7 Old 12-23-2019, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Good Lordy! You're talking about stuff I've never heard of before. But I see your point about too much HP/torque for low end controllability. I've read about this type of complaint regarding the Challenger Hellcat.
Well it's not really too much torque or horsepower, it's cam "lope" and surge. With a big cam in a car the slow speed driving, like in a parking lot or stop-n-go traffic, becomes a nightmare because the car will surge and buck at very low RPM's. You have to rev the car way up and slip the clutch to prevent this from happening and that makes it suck when trying to drive at slow speeds.

U.M.

Listen to the car in this video once it rolls to a stop. This is severe cam surge/lope, but it gives you an idea of the problems that can come with a big cam. Imagine trying to idle down the road with the car doings this!

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2005 Mustang V6 (Sold)
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)
post #6 of 7 Old 12-23-2019, 10:03 AM
cpc

Garage
Lol. Sounds like the USS Charger is docking into her boat slip. Good info. Really need to do your homework before you make these kind of purchases.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-23-2019, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Lol. Sounds like the USS Charger is docking into her boat slip. Good info. Really need to do your homework before you make these kind of purchases.
Yes you do. If you're wanting an all-out-race car then go ahead and put that big cam in there and go run some 1320's. However if you plan on daily driving the car that big cam is gonna become a big burden when you just want to putt around.

U.M.

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2005 Mustang V6 (Sold)
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mustang Ecoboost Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page