It's too low!! - Mustang Ecoboost Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-03-2018, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

It's too low!!

Hey everyone. I've been looking around on the internet everywhere for an answer but I can't find one. So I boughta 2015 Ecoboost with 19" rims and my tires keep rubbing off on the shocks/springs. I have new tires with less that 5,000 miles that are no longer road legal because there warn down to the bead. I looked at my boss's 2018 Ecoboost and his sits about 4 in taller than mine. I want to raise the suspension back to stock or go much taller. Is there anywhere or anything I can do about this? Thank you all.
post #2 of 7 Old 12-03-2018, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Austin - First off, welcome to the forums!

There's nothing worse than a hack who lowers a car incorrectly, or without doing their homework first. Sometimes people will sacrifice safety and handling just for "looks", very stupid in my eyes.

So the first thing you need to do is determine how the car was lowered. Did they cut the stock springs or did they install aftermarket lowering springs? Regardless of how they did it you're going to have to replace them with stock units if you want to get the ride height back. Unless of course they installed coil overs... if that's the case you may be able to adjust them and raise the ride height.

Lots of guys who install aftermarket springs on the Mustangs will then put the stock springs up on eBay for pretty cheap. Just keep in mind that if you are going to replace the springs they installed or modified you need to ensure you get the correct ones back in there. The springs in a Mustang 5.0 are not the same as the springs in the Mustang Ecoboost. This is because the cars weights are different so the springs have different "rates".

So you'll need to get the car up in the air and take a good look at what the previous owner has done before you can determine what corrective steps you'll need to take to rectify the situation. Report back once you know what you're dealing with.

U.M.

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2009 C6ZO6
2005 Mustang V6 (Sold)
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)
post #3 of 7 Old 12-04-2018, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

So I've done a lot of looking around, I went to a dealership to compair with other 2015 Ecoboost mustangs and I've determined mine are stock. They don't appear to be cut or anything and the alignment is good. My tire size is 255/40r19 100w. Could the 100w part be what's wrong? My sticker on the doordoesent mention the 100w.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-04-2018, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Reece View Post
So I've done a lot of looking around, I went to a dealership to compair with other 2015 Ecoboost mustangs and I've determined mine are stock. They don't appear to be cut or anything and the alignment is good. My tire size is 255/40r19 100w. Could the 100w part be what's wrong? My sticker on the doordoesent mention the 100w.
Well lets see... The 2015 Ecoboost could be purchased with 19-inch rims sporting 255/40 tires stock so we know the size is not an issue. The 100W is the "Load Index" and "Speed Rating" so that has nothing to do with your issue either. Let me ask you this Austin, are these rims stock Ford Mustang rims, or are they aftermarket? It's very possible if they are aftermarket that the previous owner ordered them with the wrong offset and this is what is causing your issue.

U.M.

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2009 C6ZO6
2005 Mustang V6 (Sold)
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)
post #5 of 7 Old 12-04-2018, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

How would I be able to tell? The rims have the mustang logo on them. Here is a picture of them and the clearance between the tire and shock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181204_161527_1543958174126.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	2613   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181204_161517_1543958191967.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	2615  
post #6 of 7 Old 12-05-2018, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Those appear to be stock Ford 19-inch rims. So I'm now officially perplexed as to why your tires are rubbing. When I look at your first picture I don't see any signs of rubbing though? I would think you would see where the paint is rubbing off of the shock/spring if the tire were in fact coming in contact with it? When I look at your 2nd photo it appears your ride height is normal.

Can you turn the wheel all the way to the left or right and then take another picture? It may help to actually see when & where the tire makes contact with the shocks. I'm assuming this is only happening on the front tires and not the rears, correct? The only other idea I have right now would possibly be an issue with the camber. However it would need to be way off for it to cause this and would be very obvious to the naked eye so i doubt that's the problem.

U.M.

It may be time to take it to your local wheel & tire shop and have them take a look at it. I'm sure they would spot the problem immediately.

Here's the wheel on my Ecoboost. This is also a 19-inch wheel with a 255/40 tire on it. Looks like we have almost the same amount of space between the tire and the fender well. Yours may be a little tighter than mine, but not by much. May be due to the angle in which your picture was taken too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	483.2 KB
ID:	2617   Click image for larger version

Name:	compare.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	491.2 KB
ID:	2619  

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2009 C6ZO6
2005 Mustang V6 (Sold)
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)

Last edited by Uncle Meat; 12-06-2018 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Added photo
post #7 of 7 Old 12-13-2018, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Austin where are you??? I'm curious as to what the outcome of this issue was and what exactly the problem ended up being?

U.M.

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2009 C6ZO6
2005 Mustang V6 (Sold)
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mustang Ecoboost Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page