any change in boost psi with the pro cal 3 set up? - Mustang Ecoboost Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-08-2018, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Question any change in boost psi with the pro cal 3 set up?

Do any of you ecoboost owners know what kind of boost psi you're seeing with the pro cal 3 tune? Is it more than the stock set-up?

I'm really thinking the pro cal 3 set up is not working in my ecoboost. I'm not sure I notice much of a difference over stock PSI. the highest psi boost I've seen in my car was just under 21
post #2 of 11 Old 06-08-2018, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
No idea how much additional boost is built into the tune of the Pro Cal 3. What are the different tuning options available via the Pro Cal 3? What supporting mods do you have installed on your car?

U.M.

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2009 C6ZO6
2005 Mustang V6 (Sold)
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)
post #3 of 11 Old 06-08-2018, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

there's no options that I know of for the Pro Cal 3 tuner for the Ecoboost mustang, you just install the tune with the interface/dongle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-09-2018, 03:35 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Okay my bad man. I wasn't thinking with my previous reply. The Pro Cal 3 is the Ford Performance supplied tuner correct? The one that comes as a package deal with the GT350 CAI, right? As far as I know the tune Ford Performance provides with that setup commands no additional boost. What it does do is re-calibrates the power curve. In stock form the Ecoboost tune really pulls a lot of the power/torque out of the power band as the RPM's climb. The tune from Ford gives some of that power/torque back, however it really doesn't shine until you get the RPM's up there. So the bottom line is no, you get no additional boost from the Pro Cal 3, but you do get a substantial increase in torque and horsepower as the RPM's climb. Your butt-dyno should be able to feel the difference quite easily.

This folks is one of the disadvantages to the Ford Performance tuner. It's extremely limited as a tuning tool. If you ever wanted to make any real performance mods to the car above and beyond a CAI then you'll need something else besides the Pro Cal 3. However... the upside to the Ford Performance Pro Cal 3 is it's warranty friendly! So if you want to add 100HP & 70ftlb and keep your factory power train warranty in tact this is certainly the safest way to go.

U.M.

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2009 C6ZO6
2005 Mustang V6 (Sold)
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)
post #5 of 11 Old 06-09-2018, 05:00 AM Thread Starter

Question

[QUOTE=Uncle Meat;32209]Okay my bad man. I wasn't thinking with my previous reply. The Pro Cal 3 is the Ford Performance supplied tuner correct? The one that comes as a package deal with the GT350 CAI, right? As far as I know the tune Ford Performance provides with that setup commands no additional boost. What it does do is re-calibrates the power curve. In stock form the Ecoboost tune really pulls a lot of the power/torque out of the power band as the RPM's climb. The tune from Ford gives some of that power/torque back, however it really doesn't shine until you get the RPM's up there. So the bottom line is no, you get no additional boost from the Pro Cal 3, but you do get a substantial increase in torque and horsepower as the RPM's climb. Your butt-dyno should be able to feel the difference quite easily.

This folks is one of the disadvantages to the Ford Performance tuner. It's extremely limited as a tuning tool. If you ever wanted to make any real performance mods to the car above and beyond a CAI then you'll need something else besides the Pro Cal 3. However... the upside to the Ford Performance Pro Cal 3 is it's warranty friendly! So if you want to add 100HP & 70ftlb and keep your factory power train warranty in tact this is certainly the safest way to go.

U.M.[/QUOTE

well my problem is that I know the tune is installed, but I don't know if it's actually working correctly. Today I was playing around in manual mode ( I have the 6 speed auto), I was in first, and the car likes to jerk in 1st, so I eased up a bit then just pounded it and at just under 7,000 RPM I shifted into 2nd, and I was hitting 60 mph probably the fastest I've hit it in my ecoboost. The car sometimes seems like its getting used to the tune, other times it seems like it's still stock. and that 1st to 2nd today was smooth as ****. I'm baffled. I'm tempted to see if I can break the 121 mph mark, as I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, the procal 3 performance pack should change the governed top speed from 121 to 149 mph, right?
post #6 of 11 Old 06-09-2018, 07:38 AM

i had my cai and tune installed at ford dealer, when i got home i plugged in my laptop and checked tune file. It was still showing the stock file in use (confirmed with FP). I downloaded the tune file and re-installed. Either the tech didnt install correctly or there was a problem he didnt catch. New tune is noticeable in low rpms and very noticeable at higher. Especially in sport mode. i have 6- speed. Very torquey..
post #7 of 11 Old 06-17-2018, 11:16 AM
cpc

Garage
After reading some posts that said some owners were not sure if the ProCal 3 calibration file had actually been installed, here is way to check using FORScan:

Before:

PCM - Powertrain Control Module
Part number: GR3A-12A650-AZA
Strategy : HR3A-14C204-DE <<<<<<<<<< Stock AS-BUILT
Hardware type: FR3A-12B684-EA

After:

Strategy : HR3A-SEMM2A-DD <<<<<<<<< With ProCal 3 tune installed.

2006 Mustang Premium Convertible V6 (sold)
2017 Mustang Premium Convertible Ecoboost
post #8 of 11 Old 06-17-2018, 11:27 AM
cpc

Garage
Using a scan tool or FORScan, you can also check to see if there are any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) stored after they flash the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). You should see several DTCs that indicate a loss of communication between the Engine Control Module (ECM) and PCM during the time of the flash procedure.

2006 Mustang Premium Convertible V6 (sold)
2017 Mustang Premium Convertible Ecoboost

Last edited by cpc; 06-17-2018 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Changed Power Control Module to Powertain
post #9 of 11 Old 06-19-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post
After reading some posts that said some owners were not sure if the ProCal 3 calibration file had actually been installed, here is way to check using FORScan:

Before:

Strategy : HR3A-14C204-DE <<<<<<<<<< Stock AS-BUILT

After:

Strategy : HR3A-SEMM2A-DD <<<<<<<<< With ProCal 3 tune installed.
Thanks, mine does read like that except last two digits,, also chatting with FP they did concur there is a boost increase to low 20's
post #10 of 11 Old 06-19-2018, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrencecar View Post
Thanks, mine does read like that except last two digits,, also chatting with FP they did concur there is a boost increase to low 20's
I can tell the difference between stock and the pro cal 3 tune by checking the tune ID or calibration ID, I have checked this before, and verify that every time I have installed the tune, it was successful, I verify this by either using a scan tool, or when I run the pro cal 3 software I recognize the difference between the stock and pro cal 3 ID numbers for the tune. I checked it every time, and yes, the tune went through. I just don't know if I can tell difference in power. I recently uninstalled the tune and drove for about 35 miles, and then reinstalled the tune, I can't tell for sure, but it seems to feel more powerful, in sports mode the car throws me back a bit more so than the stock tune.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mustang Ecoboost Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page