Tuner questions - Mustang Ecoboost Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 04-02-2018, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Tuner questions

I am stuck on the fence between a Cobb accessport v3, and a unleashed tunning x,x4 from what I've seen the unleashed x, and x4 offer the biggest tq, and hp gains after plug in and upload. But I'm wondering if anyone has input on the ease of uploading future tunes to any of these. A tuner, and cold air intake will be my first upgrades for my 2017 Ecoboost so I will be hooking the tuner up on a pretty much stock system therefore coming back to my previous question about the ease of future tunning when I hook up a 3 inch downpipe, exaust, intercooler, and charge pipes. I don't ever plan on hooking up nos so no need for a tuner adaptable for it, everything I will upgrade in the future will be strictly engine, and bolt ons
post #2 of 13 Old 04-03-2018, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Well personally I wouldn't use horsepower and torque claims as a basis for purchasing a hand-held tuner. Maybe the offerings from Unleashed are running closer to the ragged edge then those from Cobb hence the higher overall HP/TQ ratings. I'd rather give up a couple HP & TQ and have a safe tune over the alternative.

U.M.

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2009 C6ZO6
2005 Mustang V6 (Sold)
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)
post #3 of 13 Old 04-03-2018, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Yea I think I've come to the conclusion that I am going to end up going with a Cobb v3 more than likely because of the ease of future programming, and wide variety of legit tuners available, since how this will be just the stepping stone of my upgrades I know there will be plenty of tunes to come in the future
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-04-2018, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbearden101 View Post
Yea I think I've come to the conclusion that I am going to end up going with a Cobb v3 more than likely because of the ease of future programming, and wide variety of legit tuners available, since how this will be just the stepping stone of my upgrades I know there will be plenty of tunes to come in the future
That sounds like a better plan. A custom tune on the dyno by an experienced tuner is going to be your best bet. I was never a big fan of "Canned Tunes" because they are generic and have to account for some variances between cars. Custom tune is always going to be your best bet.

U.M.

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2009 C6ZO6
2005 Mustang V6 (Sold)
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)
post #5 of 13 Old 04-05-2018, 10:04 AM

Garage
I'm glad I came across this thread. I'm also considering a tune and am floundering back and forth between all the options. Originally, I was looking at the Cobb v3, but I don't think that is the best bang for my buck. From there I moved to Unleashed, but like Uncle Meat said Unleashed is, "...running closer to the ragged edge...", and that scares me a little. The last thing I want to do is blow up my engine after voiding the warranty with a tune.
Right now, I'm considering the Roush Performance Pac tune since I have a Roush CAI and the quad tip exhaust. The bad part is the tune itself is $400 and $125 for install at the dealership. This is for only 1 tune, but I keep my warranty. The other option is the Bama tune with the Rev-X tuner. It provides comparable gains to the Roush and Cobb v3; however, you get free tunes for life from Bama. I'm so confused and undecided as to what would be the best route.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-05-2018, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsave View Post
I'm glad I came across this thread. I'm also considering a tune and am floundering back and forth between all the options. Originally, I was looking at the Cobb v3, but I don't think that is the best bang for my buck. From there I moved to Unleashed, but like Uncle Meat said Unleashed is, "...running closer to the ragged edge...", and that scares me a little. The last thing I want to do is blow up my engine after voiding the warranty with a tune.
Right now, I'm considering the Roush Performance Pac tune since I have a Roush CAI and the quad tip exhaust. The bad part is the tune itself is $400 and $125 for install at the dealership. This is for only 1 tune, but I keep my warranty. The other option is the Bama tune with the Rev-X tuner. It provides comparable gains to the Roush and Cobb v3; however, you get free tunes for life from Bama. I'm so confused and undecided as to what would be the best route.
Well how concerned are you about maintaining your warranty?

U.M.

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2009 C6ZO6
2005 Mustang V6 (Sold)
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)
post #7 of 13 Old 04-05-2018, 06:55 PM

Garage
I'm not THAT concerned about keeping the warranty so long as my risk is mitigated. On the other hand, I want a tune with the most noticeable increases for the least noticeable costs. LOL
post #8 of 13 Old 04-06-2018, 03:30 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
I'm not THAT concerned about keeping the warranty so long as my risk is mitigated. On the other hand, I want a tune with the most noticeable increases for the least noticeable costs. LOL
Have you searched around for tuners in your local area you can work with? Any major performance dyno shops you know of? The best way to go if feasible is to find someone who tunes cars locally and use them. If that's not a possibility then I would go with something like what is offered from 'Bama tunes where they will provide free tunes for life. They will show you how to datalog your car and then you send them the results and they can fine tune the tune.

U.M.

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2009 C6ZO6
2005 Mustang V6 (Sold)
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)
post #9 of 13 Old 04-06-2018, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

The only concern I have with bama, not bashing their name but with it being a free tune instead of me paying for it, I would be concerned if they were actually putting the best combo or if I would end up doing multiple retunes just to bump up one tune like say if I was going through adamtuned.com where I would more than likely only have to retune once if even that from what I've heard about him
post #10 of 13 Old 04-06-2018, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
from what I've heard about the roush tune from a guy I race with that works at Ford the tune is kinda pointless it claims to bump up your hp and tq, but I bought my Ecoboost as a stock Ecoboost no tune or anything besides for the premium bundle(it even still has a speed limiter) and he said I'm running the same numbers in 1/8 and 1/4 as people that has the roush tune. Now idk mine might have the tune but for some reason not have the speed limiter deleted but to what I've understood all aftermarket tunes will delete the speed limiter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mustang Ecoboost Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page