Gear change question (and more) - Mustang Ecoboost Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 11-14-2017, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Gear change question (and more)

Hi guys! I got my mustang today. It's pretty sweet. I like it a lot. It's a 2017 not a 2018 but it's brand new. Very slick!
However I bought this car with every intention of modifying it. I traded my 14 5.0 for it in fact. And that had the performance pack. This one does as well. But I have a couple of questions I can't find n answer to.
First I want to change my gears. The performance pack comes with 3:55 gears I know. But I didn't buy that package for that. I want 3:73 gears. So since it is new if I change the gears do I also need all new bearings and seals? Or can I reuse the ones it has and just get the ring and pinion? I intend to get the Ford performance one by the way. I haven't changed gears before so I am not sure.
Second, just as far as general performance mods go, I haven't seen a lot. That's fine but I can't seem to find many definitive answers to what you can expect from things. I guess MAP has a turbo kit that can up the power to around 500. And I've heard a good tune plus the normal bolt ones can net you around 100 more horses and even more torque. But that's about it. If one was wanting to end up with a good 400 drivable horses to the wheel what is a good route to take? I hear differing answers. If a tune and bolt ones really can get you another 100 plus ponies you wouldn't be far off. But I've also read that anything 400whp and up requires a new turbo and lots of other stuff. So what's a good way to go/things to look at?

Thanks a bunch guys. I haven't had much luck finding specific answers to things. Maybe I'm just no good at finding things haha. I'll admit I'm pretty green when it comes to forced induction.
Thanks

Disclaimer: just to mention I'm not really worried about my warranty. I would prefer not to have to open the engine up but it takes what it takes.this isn't my dd
post #2 of 3 Old 11-14-2017, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
First let me welcome you to the forum!

As for the gear swap... I would most definitely replace all bearings and seals just for the simple fact that, "An ounce or prevention is worth a pound of cure". In other words you might as well replace it all while it's apart even if it's still relatively new. Now as far as replacing the rear end gear yourself... unless you've done it before and have the appropriate tools I wouldn't recommend it. Setting up gears requires specialized tools and has a low margin for error.

Now as for your question about reaching a "good" 400 RWHP. You should have just opted for the GT instead of the Ecoboost if that's the amount of horsepower you really wanted. Much easier in the long run!

Just my 2.
U.M.

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2009 C6ZO6
2005 Mustang V6 (Sold)
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)
post #3 of 3 Old 11-14-2017, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Okay. Yeah I was kinda thinking of having a shop change them out for me.
As for the amount of power I want, I had a gt. But I like the ecoboost. I don't need exactly 400 horsepower. 350 would be fine if I got the torque numbers I keep seeing as well. Which tend to be considerably higher.
I've been doing research all morning. And what I've come up with from what I've seen says that a catless free flowing exhaust, intake, maybe intercooler, and good tune should get me a fairly consistent 330ish wheel horse and quite a bit more torque. I've seen numbers in the mid 400s for that. If I can end up with that I'll be happy. That's a lot of torque

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mustang Ecoboost Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page