Newbie - Modification Order / BOV Question - Mustang Ecoboost Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 10-11-2017, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Newbie - Modification Order / BOV Question

Hey all. I've had my '16 Ecoboost Mustang for about a year now, and I've finally decided to pull the trigger and get to work on doing some modifications myself. I'm very new to the game and don't have an engineering background, but I've always wanted to learn (forgive the long post or any inaccurate assumptions / rookie mistakes I've made below). I've got a COBB V3 Tuner coming in the mail as my first priority, but after that, I suspect I'll be going somewhat slow. My planned mods (in no particular order yet) are:

1) Exhaust - will be looking for at least a catback system, potentially turboback; haven't decided yet, but not yet ready to pull the trigger
2) Blow off valve - I've been reading up on the Turbosmart BOV, and really like how it sounds, as well as the build quality (just from what others have said)
3) Intercooler - presumably will be some big honking front mounted beast
4) Hurst competition plus shifter - really want to decrease the throw distance, and I love the look of the Hurst, especially the unique reverse lockout
5) Suspension? Maybe?
6) Increase boost - I'm honestly not yet sure how to do this; if anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them

Anyway, I have two main questions. The first is whether the order of upgrade matters significantly. Obviously if you crank the **** out of your turbocharger but don't keep the engine appropriately cooled, you're gonna have problems; or if you add a bunch of power up front but don't upgrade the exhaust system, there's probably a limit as to how far those front end upgrades can take you. However, I'm more interested in my own safety - if I make certain upgrades first, will my car blow up and/or kill me on the highway?

The second question is about the BOV. I love the sound it makes, but I'm not that interested in purely aesthetic upgrades - I want some power. Having said that, if I were to add the Turbosmart BOV to my (currently) stock Mustang, would I get any performance benefit from it, or does it only start showing gains by allowing higher boost pressures to occur from other mods, and if so, what are some mods that can increase your boost pressure?

Thanks so much in advance!
post #2 of 4 Old 10-11-2017, 12:35 PM

Garage
I have the Cobb tuner and I like it a lot. Have you read their recommendations on what mods go with each stage of tuning? Also, Cobb doesn't recommend every bolt-on out there to go with their tune, so it might be smart to see what they recommend.

I also put in the Cobb CAI and it really amplifies the noise of the BOV. I haven't messed with the BOV itself, but I love the sound too. Mine hisses like air brakes on a city bus when I shift gears going uphill.

Intercooler is the next major mod I'm considering; it's the one component I need to go from Stage 1 tune up to Stage 2. But I haven't convinced myself to spend the cash for it yet.

For short throw shifters, I put in a Steeda Triax and I like it a lot. I never tried the Hurst.

Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere. - Colin Chapman
post #3 of 4 Old 10-12-2017, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Hands down the best shifters I've ever used/installed are from MGW. Top notch quality. Yes they ARE expensive, but you get what you pay for!

U.M.

https://www.mgwshifters.com/

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2009 C6ZO6
2005 Mustang V6 (Sold)
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-13-2017, 02:57 AM

Garage
My 2017 is pretty heavily modified at this point, and through my research I came up with my upgrade order. This may work for you.

0. Cobb AP - you already have it.
1. Intake - testing has shown the stock intake to actually be very free flowing, a good drop-in filter is the least I would recommend and cheap to do. (Cobb stage 1 tune)
2. Intercooler - Anything is better than the stock unit. I went with CP-e, but MAP and Levels are highly rated. (Cobb stage 2 tune)
I also did the charge pipes at the same time. Since you have to take things apart to do the intercooler, better to do it only once.
3. BOV - Though you could do this at any point, since it really has little effect on the actual power being made.
4. Turbo back exhaust - You can actually skip the downpipe, though most tend to replace it for a prettier one, we have a high flow cat from the factory. (Cobb Stage 3)
5. Wastegate actuator and custom tune - Since Cobb never addresses the WGA in their OTS tunes, if you swap it out you need to work with a tuner to have things working properly.

I did some suspension mods between intake and intercooler, and wheels/tires between intercooler and exhaust. But as far as engine work goes this was my order.

Good Luck.

2017 Lightning Blue Ecoboost PP - Steeda - Eibach - Mishimoto - SVE Wheels - Nitto - Turbosmart - Diode Dynamics - CP-e - GoFastBits - NGK - Gibson Exhaust - Tune+

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mustang Ecoboost Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page