New owner bummed over performance advice - Mustang Ecoboost Forum
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Uncle Meat

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 08-03-2017, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

New owner bummed over performance advice

So I'm excited to say Im a first time mustang owner as of last Friday! I've begun my search for a mustang shop to do minor performance upgrades like a new intake , tuning, down pipe etc...

From this forum I saw a shop called power by the hour in Boynton Beach Fl, so I visited them today. The gentlemen in the office I spoke with told me there's nothing I can do to increase the HP on the Ecoboost due to Fords built in restrictions. I told him I was interested in a new a CAI and new tuning, and that I've seen online all these great gains from 25hp to 50hp and torque increases of up to 70. We went back and forth pleasantly and he went as far as saying they upgraded a customers Ecoboost with a bigger turbo and Dyno tested it and only had a 5hp gain, so I was wasting my time. He also said I would lose HP. Now I don't know what to believe. I was pretty excited, I've seen all of the American muscle videos but now im deflated...any advice? Is he right?
post #2 of 3 Old 08-03-2017, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyStang View Post
So I'm excited to say Im a first time mustang owner as of last Friday! I've begun my search for a mustang shop to do minor performance upgrades like a new intake , tuning, down pipe etc...

From this forum I saw a shop called power by the hour in Boynton Beach Fl, so I visited them today. The gentlemen in the office I spoke with told me there's nothing I can do to increase the HP on the Ecoboost due to Fords built in restrictions. I told him I was interested in a new a CAI and new tuning, and that I've seen online all these great gains from 25hp to 50hp and torque increases of up to 70. We went back and forth pleasantly and he went as far as saying they upgraded a customers Ecoboost with a bigger turbo and Dyno tested it and only had a 5hp gain, so I was wasting my time. He also said I would lose HP. Now I don't know what to believe. I was pretty excited, I've seen all of the American muscle videos but now im deflated...any advice? Is he right?
Whomever you spoke to at "Power by the Hour" is a complete dumbass. My advice to you is to find a different performance shop ASAP! I highly suggest Lethal Performance in W. Palm Beach if you're looking to do any serious performance upgrades.

As for easy increases in power you can do yourself... look at getting a handheld tuner from Cobb or Bama Tunes. The tune these cars come with from the factory leave some power and a good amount of torque on the table. Keep in mind though... you can INVALIDATE your new car warranty if Ford finds out you've messed with the factory calibrations. However you can take your new Ecoboost to pretty much any Ford dealer, pay about $750, and have them update your tune and add a couple Ford performance parts which will give some significant increases in HP/TQ AND you'll still get to keep the factory power train warranty! Win-win!

Read more here: https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-M4

Enjoy your new car!!!!!

U.M.
fastback2.3 likes this.

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2009 C6ZO6
2005 Mustang V6 (Sold)
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)
post #3 of 3 Old 07-07-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyStang View Post

I'm also a first time mustang owner for a whole week now. That guy at the performance shop is an idiot go somewhere else. My first mod I'm gonna do will be a sct tuner or cobb accessport. You will see gains from tune alone and you can get custome tunes as you get more bolt ons
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180630_185257_HDR_1530967796706.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	2519  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mustang Ecoboost Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page