How do I disable the active noise control? - Page 2 - Mustang Ecoboost Forum
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 35 Old 10-09-2016, 09:20 AM

"Active Noise Control" mic in a convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by sircharlesb1 View Post
I have the same situation. Where is the mic on the convertible? Anyone?
Picked up a 2016 Ecoboost Premium Convertible with the Shaker 500 system. Sounded....umm, well, bad. Desperately needed some upgraded bass......at a minimum. There weren't many affordable plug-in-play options for the '16 Convert, so I went another direction. I added a pair of 10" Pioneer subs (TSW261S4 firing up) to an off-the-shelf $40 prefab box designed for Jeeps (Amazon). Then added 2-farad cap, Fosgate Prime (R500X1D) amp, an LOC from the passenger rear speaker and sure enough; I had that engine rumble coming through the 10s. Is was really bad/obnoxious from about 900 RPM to about 1900 RPM.

After reading this forum; I found the "Active Noise Control" mic in the map light panel and simply unplugged it. A few seconds of testing with it unplugged and no engine rumbling through the subs. A quick re-connect brought back the rumble. FOUND IT!

If you gently pull down the 'map light box' (near the rear-view mirror); look about 2 inches left of center for a black plastic 'box'. Its about the size of a postage stamp and about 3/8" thick. It'll have a simple and tiny positive/negative harness plug that is separated from the other wiring harnesses. Simply unplug, slip in back into place, and put the map light box back.

Thanks to the forum for the help and byw, this upgrade really fixed the short-comings of the Shaker 500 system.

Vegas Don
jrsturm777 likes this.
post #12 of 35 Old 10-09-2016, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Great info on the mic location on the 'vert. We were wondering where Ford relocated it on the drop top models, now we know. Thanks again for the information. It will be valuable for others.

U.M.

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2009 C6ZO6 - Katech Stage 2 #115
2005 Mustang V6 (Sold)
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)
post #13 of 35 Old 03-16-2017, 04:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swperry View Post
Ok so today I took it in to ford to have them disable it and after 2 hours they gave up. Tried to use IDS but that didn't work. HOWEVER.....after a bit more research online I discovered that there is a small mic located in the headliner just above the back seat. Pull your headliner back and unplug that mic and the noise is completely gone! Problem solved!
I can see the mic on the headliner. I tried to pull it down but it is impossible, as there are plastic panels on each side of the headliner that seem to help keep it in place. Any suggestions, photos or even a short video would be helpful.

2017 EU Mustang EcoBoost PP, AT, Race RedMBRP Race Catback Exhausts (black)cp-e DeltaCore intercoolerCobb Accessport V3, e-Tune by Tune+ on 93+ oct (98+ RON)Diode Dynamics Switchback Tribar DRL LED BoardsShelby Cobra style side rocker decals

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Regenerative Biotechnology
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 35 Old 03-16-2017, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacStang View Post
I can see the mic on the headliner. I tried to pull it down but it is impossible, as there are plastic panels on each side of the headliner that seem to help keep it in place. Any suggestions, photos or even a short video would be helpful.
I second this motion! I've yet to yank mine out and a short tutorial or picture may make it a bit easier. Anyone willing to help?

U.M.
MacStang likes this.

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2005 Mustang V6 (Sold)
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)
post #15 of 35 Old 03-16-2017, 02:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Meat View Post
I second this motion! I've yet to yank mine out and a short tutorial or picture may make it a bit easier. Anyone willing to help?

U.M.
OK, I found two videos that show exactly how to disable the active noise control, but I cannot post them here because it seems that I do not have enough posts in this forum...

Send me your email and I can send them to you if you want.

I did it already.

Here is the process and my advice: be gentle. Carefully insert one hand under the center of the headliner and start moving towards one end. If you look carefully you will see that there is a strong magnet and a clip that keep the headliner attached to the roof. Lift your fingers and push the headliner down. Insert your other hand on the other side and do the same. Do not pull aggressively the headliner down at the center as you might destroy it. You will see the mic - simply unplug it. That's it!

Tip: For those who have loud exhausts, this will help reduce the drone. Also, disabling the active noise control will improve the sound that comes out of the car stereo.

2017 EU Mustang EcoBoost PP, AT, Race RedMBRP Race Catback Exhausts (black)cp-e DeltaCore intercoolerCobb Accessport V3, e-Tune by Tune+ on 93+ oct (98+ RON)Diode Dynamics Switchback Tribar DRL LED BoardsShelby Cobra style side rocker decals

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 35 Old 03-16-2017, 03:54 PM

Garage
I created a thread at the mustang6g forum so that you can see the videos. Go to the forums and look for the thread at Technical Subforums > I4 2.3L EcoBoost Engine / Mods: Bolt-ons, Exhaust, Tuning Reload this Page > How to disable the Active Noise Control

post #17 of 35 Old 03-17-2017, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2005 Mustang V6 (Sold)
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)
post #18 of 35 Old 03-17-2017, 07:00 AM

Garage
Thumbs up

Thanks!

post #19 of 35 Old 03-17-2017, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacStang View Post
Thanks!
No, thank YOU for finding those vids. I know what I'm doing when I get home from work today!

U.M.

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2005 Mustang V6 (Sold)
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)
post #20 of 35 Old 03-17-2017, 07:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Meat View Post
No, thank YOU for finding those vids. I know what I'm doing when I get home from work today!

U.M.
I did it last night!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mustang Ecoboost Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page