door to fender gap varies between passenger and driver door. is it a defect? - Mustang Ecoboost Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 11-18-2018, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Question door to fender gap varies between passenger and driver door. is it a defect?

I noticed the gap between the fender and door is wider on the passenger's side than the driver's side. Is this a factory defect? I sometimes am paranoid that I opened the passenger door too wide and messed up a hinge or something. The door closes fine with no creaks or squeaks or squeals. Is it possible I opened the door too wide and slightly tweaked a hinge? I've noticed some early '15 mustangs had body panel defects, not sure that's my issue.
post #2 of 3 Old 11-18-2018, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecostang2015 View Post
I noticed the gap between the fender and door is wider on the passenger's side than the driver's side. Is this a factory defect? I sometimes am paranoid that I opened the passenger door too wide and messed up a hinge or something. The door closes fine with no creaks or squeaks or squeals. Is it possible I opened the door too wide and slightly tweaked a hinge? I've noticed some early '15 mustangs had body panel defects, not sure that's my issue.
Relax I doubt you tweaked the hinge by just opening & closing the door. Uneven panel gaps are usually due to an inattentive worker at the Ford assembly plant. Seems the S550's are especially troublesome around the rear deck lid/rear fenders. The gap on your door can be fixed rather easily though if it is bothering you. You can try doing it yourself, but I would suggest using a body shop since they have all the proper tools and shims (if required). The doors on a car, while bolted to the hinges, are actually designed so their position can be adjusted before all the bolts are fully tightened. As long as the front edge of the door isn't so close to the rear edge of the fender you shouldn't have to worry about any interference between the two.

U.M.

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2009 C6ZO6
2005 Mustang V6 (Sold)
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)
post #3 of 3 Old 11-27-2018, 12:03 AM

Had the same issue with the hood/fender gaps when I bought my mustang...dealer adjusted the hood for free. They told me that some of the body panel gaps coming from the factory can be less than perfect but are easily fixed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mustang Ecoboost Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page