30k service questions - Mustang Ecoboost Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 11-09-2018, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Question 30k service questions

my mustang has just over 48K miles. the engine was reconditioned at 32K. Ford recommended about half a dozen flush jobs, brake fluid and power steering, plus a GDI engine cleaning service, it would have been close to $1200. I decided to do just the oil change/inspection and the differential fluid change. Do you guys think $1200 is reasonable for: full syn oil change/inspection, power steering/brake fluid flush, GDI cleaning service, differential change,etc . The car had the trans fluid and coolant changed when the engine was repaired. each of these service ranged from $160 to $200 a piece. Should I get these services done asap? if so, should I go to a different shop to get better rates? I probably will have Ford do the GDI cleaning service since its an engine service, but I'll wait a little while. I'm just worried since I still have about 12K left on the powertrain warranty, I don't want Ford to make a big stink about taking the car to someone else, because they could use that against me in warranty claims, but since I only have 12K left on the factory warranty, maybe it might not matter as long as I have reputable shops service the vehicle.
post #2 of 6 Old 11-09-2018, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

FYI, I also use chevron techron 91 premium fuel every fuel up and the chevron techron fuel cleaner for GDI engines every few thousand miles.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-11-2018, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
So let me get this straight. The car has 48K miles on it, but the engine only has 16K on it because it was reconditioned at 32K. So you determined the car needed a 30K service performed? According to the owners manual scheduled maintenance chart, the only thing special required at 30,000 miles is an engine air filter replacement. The next service interval is 100K and the only thing required at this interval is to change engine coolant, replace spark plugs, and inspect accessory drive belt(s). Again, this is all according to the Ford Service manual issued with your car so these are the "Official" steps required to meet the warranty obligations set forth by Ford. Don't let some stealership BS you into a bunch of unnecessary flush & fills if they aren't required. The differential change isn't required until 150K for Christs' sake!!!

U.M.

Every 20000 mi (32,000 km) Replace cabin air filter.
Every 30000 mi (48,000 km) Replace engine air filter.
At 100000 mi (160,000 km) Change engine coolant.
Every 100000 mi (160,000 km) Replace spark plugs. Inspect accessory drive belt(s).
Every 150000 mi (240,000 km) Change automatic transmission fluid and filter. Change manual transmission fluid. Replace accessory drive belt(s). Change rear axle fluid.

Don't be a sucker!

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2009 C6ZO6
2005 Mustang V6 (Sold)
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-11-2018, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Meat View Post
So let me get this straight. The car has 48K miles on it, but the engine only has 16K on it because it was reconditioned at 32K. So you determined the car needed a 30K service performed? According to the owners manual scheduled maintenance chart, the only thing special required at 30,000 miles is an engine air filter replacement. The next service interval is 100K and the only thing required at this interval is to change engine coolant, replace spark plugs, and inspect accessory drive belt(s). Again, this is all according to the Ford Service manual issued with your car so these are the "Official" steps required to meet the warranty obligations set forth by Ford. Don't let some stealership BS you into a bunch of unnecessary flush & fills if they aren't required. The differential change isn't required until 150K for Christs' sake!!!

U.M.

Every 20000 mi (32,000 km) Replace cabin air filter.
Every 30000 mi (48,000 km) Replace engine air filter.
At 100000 mi (160,000 km) Change engine coolant.
Every 100000 mi (160,000 km) Replace spark plugs. Inspect accessory drive belt(s).
Every 150000 mi (240,000 km) Change automatic transmission fluid and filter. Change manual transmission fluid. Replace accessory drive belt(s). Change rear axle fluid.

Don't be a sucker!

I didn't assume or determine anything, Ford service department was trying to sell me services. All my filters have been changed, oil changed, trans fluid changed at 32K, spark plugs changed at 32K, along with coolant at 32K.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-12-2018, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

i only did the differential because I heard plenty of people say you should do it before 60K, Ford didn't talk me into anything. all Ford did on this visit was the crankcase oil change and differential fluid change
post #6 of 6 Old 11-12-2018, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I believe having your differential fluid changed was probably not necessary at this time, unless of course you've been beating the living crap out of it.

If you're concerned about deposits building up on the intake valves being this engine is DI you can do the cleaning yourself and save some time & money. Go to Walmart and get yourself a can of SeaFoam. They sell one which comes with a special shaped spray tube/anti-crush sleeve which will work with our Ecoboost's. Detailed instructions are on the can of course, but in a nutshell.... First you fully warm up the car and then shut it off. Then remove the rubber intake tube at the throttle body (* Pro tip - Removal of intake airbox may facilitate this task), trim the special SeaFoam spray tube to the correct length (*Note - when cutting the spray tube use a clean, sharp cutting tool. The inner diameter of the tube is pretty small to begin with and cutting it with something dull will crush it closed as it's cut. Ensure you haven't crimped the tube shut after making your cut), then reassemble with the SeaFoam spray tube/anti-crush sleeve in place. (*Pro tip - Spray a little SeaFoam on the mounting area of the throttle body and a little inside the rubber intake tube. This will make reconnecting the two much easier). Now start up the car and connect the SeaFoam can to the spray tube and spray the entire can into the throttle body. You may need someone to give the car a bit of gas while you do this. My wife's Ecoboost didn't require it though. Once the can is empty you shut the engine off and let it sit for 15 minutes. Then take her out for a drive. Don't freak out if you see some white smoke from the exhaust. This is just the SeaFoam burning off.

Although this step-by-step guide was performed on a different brand/make car, the steps found in this online tutorial are basically the same for the Ecoboost.

https://www.quirkyuncle.com/2013/08/...carbonization/

I just performed this very same SeaFoam cleaning on my wife's Ecoboost last weekend. I plan on doing it every 25-30K miles.

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2009 C6ZO6
2005 Mustang V6 (Sold)
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mustang Ecoboost Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page