Inoperative rear camera, trunk lid release, center brake light - Mustang Ecoboost Forum
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By ivanov.32

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 11-27-2018, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
cpc

Garage
Inoperative rear camera, trunk lid release, center brake light

My 2017 convertible had developed a problem where the rear view camera, electronic trunk lid release and center brake light (located on the trunk lid) stopped working. I have read several other posts about these issues on other mustang forums and learned that owners have been stumped as to the root cause or what the solution is. After taking my car to the dealership, they informed me that some of my trunk lid harness wires were broken and this was causing the issues. Seems there is a Ford SSM bulletin that describes the problem and how to solve it. Bottom line is that additional slack must be added to the harness (by the dealer) to prevent it from being pinched between the trunk lid and the trunk lid frame (where the rubber seal resides). Please see link below:

https://ford.oemdtc.com/1634/inopera...7-ford-mustang

I hope this helps other owners who've experienced this issue. My repair was covered under my 36K mile warranty.

2006 Mustang Premium Convertible V6 (sold)
2017 Mustang Premium Convertible Ecoboost

Last edited by cpc; 11-27-2018 at 12:28 AM.
post #2 of 5 Old 11-27-2018, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
My warranty expires next month and I need to get my wife's Ecoboost in and have them check that. We've been having intermittent issues with the backup camera. Sometimes it works fine, other times the picture is very distorted and scrambled, other times it doesn't work at all and all we see is a white screen. This may be the cause...

U.M.

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2009 C6ZO6
2005 Mustang V6 (Sold)
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)
post #3 of 5 Old 11-28-2018, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
cpc

Garage
Yes, all of my problems were intermittent as well. It all depends how the wiring harness lines up after you close the deck lid. Once the wire(s) gets broken, things may fail if the harness happens to bend into the wrong position (like if you close the lid hard and fast). But if the harness bends correctly, the problem may appear to be fixed (at least temporarily).

2006 Mustang Premium Convertible V6 (sold)
2017 Mustang Premium Convertible Ecoboost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-20-2019, 12:56 PM

Garage
I had a similar problem. After a little bit of dodgy work by the dealership, I was able to fix the rear camera myself. It turned out to be the shielding wire on the two-wire communication link. I added a little bit of travel and length to the harness by hanging it down with an additional tie-wrap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trunk_Wires.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	2643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trunk_Wires_1.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	2645   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trunk_Wires_2.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	2647  
cpc likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-23-2019, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
cpc

Garage
I like your idea about providing extra harness travel using the hanging tie wrap. Very clever :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mustang Ecoboost Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page