gauges glitching? battery issues, please help. - Mustang Ecoboost Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 11-24-2018, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

gauges glitching? battery issues, please help.

I recently been getting a dead/weak battery issue, obviously its just the battery, not the alternator, had the battery tested, it holds a charge for a while, but tends to weaken after 2-3 days. I have another issue possibly related, not sure. My gauges seem to be acting funny. My average mpg says 27.2, but when I filled the tank up, the miles to empty said something weird like 330. when the miles to empty readout would say something like 435 before today 27.2 times 16 gallons is way more than 330. I went into engineering mode and the average mpg said something ridiculous like 20.9 mpg, which is funny, because last time I went into engineering mode the fuel mileage said something like 29.7 mpg. Is it possible that my fuel mileage suddenly dropped, or I'm leaking fuel, or is something glitching? I'm checking for leaks, so far nothing. no check engine lights, no DTC's.
post #2 of 2 Old 11-25-2018, 05:11 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Try tracking your MPG's manually for a few tanks and compare that to what's being displayed in the instrument cluster. Keep in mind that some of the figures you're seeing are estimates/algorithms based on time and when you last reset them. In the 2+ years we've owned our Ecoboost I've never seen an estimated range of over 330 miles for a full tank of gas. We do have an A/T so I'm sure that plays into it some. My wife also has a lead foot and rarely sees real world average gas mileage of more than 23-24MPG's Hwy/Cty combined. We track the gas consumption manually in all of our cars all the time. The Ecoboost is consistently displaying an average MPG which is 2-3 MPG's higher than what we are actually getting.

U.M.

To properly track your MPG's manually you have to remembered to always fill the tank full up each and every time you get gas. if you're one of those people who throw $5 or $10 in it at a time you won't be able to track the MPG's accurately.

If you're not planning on replacing your battery which sounds like it is failing you might consider getting a battery tender to plug it into when you're not driving it.

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2009 C6ZO6
2005 Mustang V6 (Sold)
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)

Last edited by Uncle Meat; 11-25-2018 at 05:13 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mustang Ecoboost Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page