2016 Ecoboost auto transmission problem - Mustang Ecoboost Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-23-2018, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Unhappy 2016 Ecoboost auto transmission problem

My car, a 2016 Ecoboost convertible auto, lost its transmission recently. After an aggressive start from a light, the engine rpm ran away and there was no thrust from the car. Rolled to a stop and shut everything off, and restarted the car. No shifting to Reverse, or Drive. Dealer said that some pump and some solenoid failed, and it'll take a week to get it repaired. Anyone else have a similar problem?
post #2 of 6 Old 07-24-2018, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieRed2016 View Post
My car, a 2016 Ecoboost convertible auto, lost its transmission recently. After an aggressive start from a light, the engine rpm ran away and there was no thrust from the car. Rolled to a stop and shut everything off, and restarted the car. No shifting to Reverse, or Drive. Dealer said that some pump and some solenoid failed, and it'll take a week to get it repaired. Anyone else have a similar problem?
The Ecoboost Mustang has the same automatic transmission in it that the V6 and GT models have, the 6R80. This Ford transmission has been used in different Ford vehicles since 2007. They are usually a pretty reliable transmission for the most part, but like all automatic transmissions they are susceptible to heat.

Are you getting this fixed under warranty?

U.M.

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2009 C6ZO6
2005 Mustang V6 (Sold)
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)
post #3 of 6 Old 07-26-2018, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Meat View Post
The Ecoboost Mustang has the same automatic transmission in it that the V6 and GT models have, the 6R80. This Ford transmission has been used in different Ford vehicles since 2007. They are usually a pretty reliable transmission for the most part, but like all automatic transmissions they are susceptible to heat.

Are you getting this fixed under warranty?
U.M.
Thankfully the repair is being done under the powertrain warranty. I freaked out at first because my bumper to bumper warranty was over by about 10K miles. Then I re-learned that the powertrain warranty goes to 60K. I have about 15k remaining on my powertrain warranty, thank goodness. We're in a Nissan Versa rental for the moment, courtesy of Ford.
I haven't seen any other reports of failures like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-26-2018, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Glad to hear your power train warranty is covering it. Please let us know what the service department tells you about the issue. As stated previously the real killer of an automatic transmission is heat. I'm curious what they say was the cause of your particular transmissions issue.

U.M.

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2009 C6ZO6
2005 Mustang V6 (Sold)
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)
post #5 of 6 Old 08-01-2018, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Turns out after a call today, that the issue is the torque converter. The bolts from the flexplate to torque converter sheared. Next question was: do you race it? Of course we don't. The technician said that this was an "extremely uncommon" failure and I guess that prompted the question. They actually hadn't called ME, so it appears the approval to order the part was easily accomplished. The said they looked at the valve body and it was all clean. The fluid pump was also fine. So, they're waiting for the TC to arrive tomorrow morning.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-02-2018, 03:37 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Sheered the bolts which connect the flexplate to the torque converter!? Wow! Even on high horsepower cars you don't hear of this type of failure. I'm thinking someone didn't torque those bolts to spec the last time they were put together... There are other failure points in the drive train which would break long before those bolts if you were drag racing it hard.

U.M.

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2009 C6ZO6
2005 Mustang V6 (Sold)
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mustang Ecoboost Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page