car keeps cutting out when hitting the pedal hard - Page 2 - Mustang Ecoboost Forum
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 07-05-2018, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
I had no symptoms, but others have had hesitation and loss of power. There are theories that bad sensors are related to the dreaded ecoboom.

Replacing it is simple: unplug the wire, unscrew the sensor, and replace it. Do it when the engine is cold to reduce fuel spill, and hold the fuel line with one wrench while you unscrew the sensor with another. Nothing to it.
do I need to drain any fuel or anything?

Also, can you tell me the exact location of the sensor? thanks
post #12 of 19 Old 07-06-2018, 09:22 AM

Garage
No need to drain fuel, just give it time for the fuel pressure to bleed off. I left mine sitting overnight and barely lost a drop.

The sensor is under the hood, centered side to side and a little forward of the windshield. It's right on top of everything, very easy to get to.

Here's a thread from another forum with more info: http://www.mustangecoboost.net/threa...acebook.13545/
ecostang2015 likes this.

Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere. - Colin Chapman
post #13 of 19 Old 07-06-2018, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
No need to drain fuel, just give it time for the fuel pressure to bleed off. I left mine sitting overnight and barely lost a drop.

The sensor is under the hood, centered side to side and a little forward of the windshield. It's right on top of everything, very easy to get to.

Here's a thread from another forum with more info: http://www.mustangecoboost.net/threa...acebook.13545/
I found where it's at under the hood, easy to reach , seems simple enough. Of course the local Ford dealer made it sound like it was closer to $50 from them, but they didn't even stock it, so they would have to order it. I said I would wait on that, I'm not paying an extra 20-25 dollars just to wait anyway, so I went to ebay to find the closest seller to me and made the purchase for about $27.33

this is the listing I purchased from

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202107275077?rmvSB=true
Sarge likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 Old 07-12-2018, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecostang2015 View Post
I found where it's at under the hood, easy to reach , seems simple enough. Of course the local Ford dealer made it sound like it was closer to $50 from them, but they didn't even stock it, so they would have to order it. I said I would wait on that, I'm not paying an extra 20-25 dollars just to wait anyway, so I went to ebay to find the closest seller to me and made the purchase for about $27.33

this is the listing I purchased from

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202107275077?rmvSB=true
did you "prime" the fuel pump before starting after the replacement? I didn't, and the car started up fine.
post #15 of 19 Old 07-12-2018, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

I used a 24 MM wrench to take off the sensor since I didn't have a 24MM deep socket. I used an adjustable wrench to hold the line, since I didn't have a wrench to fit the line, the 12MM wrench I had didn't fit. I suspect a 14MM wrench would have worked, but I didn't have one.
post #16 of 19 Old 07-20-2018, 01:34 PM

Did you put the Ford Perf Pack on? UM said you're not happy with it. What's the problem? I'm thinking of putting it on mine, but not sure yet. Thanks
post #17 of 19 Old 07-21-2018, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbeinetti View Post
Did you put the Ford Perf Pack on? UM said you're not happy with it. What's the problem? I'm thinking of putting it on mine, but not sure yet. Thanks
It doesn't add anything to the top speed, I didn't know that until way after I had it installed, I don't fully notice any real change in power. It's a waste of $500 for me, if I didn't care about warranties I would have just went with something like Unleashed or Cobb. I want to be able to do more than 121 MPH if I ever get that kind of road, and I want to get up to speed faster than what I'm doing now, the car is very quick, even in drive mode, but seriously I'm not overly impressed with the tune.

Also, I experience a weird cutting out noise sometimes when I hit between 4-5K RPM on hard acceleration, that was going on before the tune, and it still happens occasionally, I thought it might be an internal problem, but it still happens despite my engine being rebuilt. I notice it less now, not sure what it is. I wonder if its just my car telling me it really wants 93 octane, when I all can get is 91. I thought about trying to boost my octane to 93 see if it straightens out that noise, but I can't bring myself to spend $50 on racing fuel to achieve the 93 octane
post #18 of 19 Old 07-21-2018, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecostang2015 View Post
It doesn't add anything to the top speed, I didn't know that until way after I had it installed, I don't fully notice any real change in power. It's a waste of $500 for me, if I didn't care about warranties I would have just went with something like Unleashed or Cobb. I want to be able to do more than 121 MPH if I ever get that kind of road, and I want to get up to speed faster than what I'm doing now, the car is very quick, even in drive mode, but seriously I'm not overly impressed with the tune.

Also, I experience a weird cutting out noise sometimes when I hit between 4-5K RPM on hard acceleration, that was going on before the tune, and it still happens occasionally, I thought it might be an internal problem, but it still happens despite my engine being rebuilt. I notice it less now, not sure what it is. I wonder if its just my car telling me it really wants 93 octane, when I all can get is 91. I thought about trying to boost my octane to 93 see if it straightens out that noise, but I can't bring myself to spend $50 on racing fuel to achieve the 93 octane
more like $100 really lol.
post #19 of 19 Old 09-08-2019, 01:47 AM

Garage
Thank God for these forums! The information here is priceless. Had the same **** thing happen to me today with my '16 Ecoboost. So, that I don't take it back to my dealership for the warranty repair, and not know what the **** I am trying to explain. This thread explained it all perfectly. I assume by this thread, that some Ecoboost's have faulty Fuel Pressure Sensors? Any chance anyone knows what years and where they were manufactured? I bet mine is one of those with the Bad Fuel Pressure Sensor. Thank you all for you input into this thread. This is so very helpful.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mustang Ecoboost Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page