Roush Quad Tip Exhaust - Mustang Ecoboost Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 11-29-2017, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Roush Quad Tip Exhaust

I have the Roush quad tip exhaust, and the inside tips have (had) a build up of black smoke while the outer tips remain clean. I pulled the tips off and cleaned them, reinstalled them, and started it up. White smoke came from the inside tips, but not the outer; however, there was exhaust coming from all of them. I put my hand down there to check. I installed a UPR catch can within the first month of getting the car, and my oil level is perfect. Does anyone have the same issue or know why this is happening? Thanks everyone!
post #2 of 3 Old 11-30-2017, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
For the sake of this discussion we'll assume you're running the standard Roush Quad Tip Exhaust and not the "Active" system. The active system has butterfly valves built into the exhaust which can be controlled by a console mounted switch allowing the driver to choose from one of four different options for the exhaust back pressure/sound level. This type of system is similar to what my Corvette has with the factory NPP exhaust option. I'm always cleaning the inner tips more than the outer, but that's because I leave the valves open all the time so the exhaust uses just the inner straight through pipes/tips.

If I had to hazard a guess I would say the inner exhaust pipes/tips on your Roush exhaust have a more "Straight-Through" design hence less back pressure. The exhaust gasses are going to follow the path of least resistance. At least this is the theory I'm going with.

U.M.

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2009 C6ZO6
2005 Mustang V6 (Sold)
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)
post #3 of 3 Old 12-01-2017, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
As far as I know, I do not have the active exhaust, but it would be nice. I say this because I haven't located a console mounted switch. Sounds like a good theory to me. Let's run with it. Just knowing someone else has the same cleaning issues as me makes me feel better. It certainly doesn't affect performance. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mustang Ecoboost Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page