Performance issue - Mustang Ecoboost Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 07-02-2017, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Unhappy Performance issue

Hi,

I was making some tests with my ecoboost 2016 and when I was driving on sport+ and when you reach 120mph the car seems to lose power and became slow. Did someone feel the same?
Is this a limitation from Ford or just a bad calibration of the engine?

Regards.
post #2 of 12 Old 07-03-2017, 12:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruisergio View Post
Hi,

I was making some tests with my ecoboost 2016 and when I was driving on sport+ and when you reach 120mph the car seems to lose power and became slow. Did someone feel the same?

Regards.
Probably a Ford limitation. You can probably get rid of that with a tune.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-03-2017, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruisergio View Post
Hi,

Regards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petawn View Post
Probably a Ford limitation. You can probably get rid of that with a tune.
Top speed for the stock Ecoboost is limited to 149MPH. This is due to the tires it's equipped with from the factory. A custom tune can remove this limitation.

U.M.
Petawn likes this.

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2009 C6ZO6
2005 Mustang V6 (Sold)
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-14-2017, 03:39 AM

Garage
I don't think he is talking about the speed limit on his car. What he feels is that the car falls on his face on high revs. The limiting factor is the stock intercooler. Upgrade the intercooler and if you want get a tune. I would suggest an e-tune from Adam (www.adamtuned.com).

2017 EU Mustang EcoBoost PP, AT, Race RedMBRP Race Catback Exhausts (black)cp-e DeltaCore intercoolerCobb Accessport V3, e-Tune by Tune+ on 93+ oct (98+ RON)Diode Dynamics Switchback Tribar DRL LED BoardsShelby Cobra style side rocker decals

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Regenerative Biotechnology
post #5 of 12 Old 07-14-2017, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacStang View Post
I don't think he is talking about the speed limit on his car. What he feels is that the car falls on his face on high revs. The limiting factor is the stock intercooler. Upgrade the intercooler and if you want get a tune. I would suggest an e-tune from Adam (www.adamtuned.com).
Well if that's the case he must have been making multiple full throttle pulls over and over and over again. I'm in Alabama and I've pushed our Ecoboost pretty hard in the 90-degree heat and have not experienced heat soak at all. Our Ecoboost is still bone stock except for a JLT CAI.

U.M.

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2009 C6ZO6
2005 Mustang V6 (Sold)
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)
post #6 of 12 Old 07-14-2017, 06:50 AM

Garage
I have seen a big difference after upgrading the FMIC and adding the tune, especially at higher rpm. However, where I live, ambient temperatures in the summer are 95-100 degrees!

2017 EU Mustang EcoBoost PP, AT, Race RedMBRP Race Catback Exhausts (black)cp-e DeltaCore intercoolerCobb Accessport V3, e-Tune by Tune+ on 93+ oct (98+ RON)Diode Dynamics Switchback Tribar DRL LED BoardsShelby Cobra style side rocker decals

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Regenerative Biotechnology
post #7 of 12 Old 01-15-2018, 06:47 PM

i heard it was 126 ecu limited
post #8 of 12 Old 02-18-2018, 11:50 PM

Garage
I was driving in the Wanna Go Fasts event in French Lick Indiana this summer and my car tended to really have a hard time going over 122mph in the 1/2 mile I was very consistent and would have won some $$ if I were bracket racing but that's another story.
Had a Bama Tune, CAI, downpipe, and exhaust on it during the event. Letting the car cool down between runs didn't seem to help, so I don't think I had a heat soak problem. I tried various launch techniques, burnouts and tire pressures to speed things up at the start but still didn't improve top speed. I think the little engine just runs out of HP at the big end of the track. I think you (and I) NEED more Horsepower!!!

New additions of larger intercooler, turbo piping, wastegate, and BOV have made a seat of the pants improvement. But the weather is too crappy do a "scientific" test and measure the differences in speed and time. These might help raise the boost a bit and improve airflow and lower charge temp for small Peak HP gains, but the biggest improvement comes at mid-range rpm (from what I can tell by the dyno graphs from mfg). So top speed might not improve much, although acceleration should improve therefore dropping 60', 1/8 mile, and 1/4 mile times.

From what I've read, to make significant HP gains and really up the top speed you need to increase the turbo size. Bolt-on parts can only do so much for that little engine and stock turbo.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-19-2018, 05:58 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Vandemark View Post
i heard it was 126 ecu limited
Depends. If you have a non power pack Mustang it's around 126, if your Ecoboost is equipped with the power pack then it's 148.

Top speed is going to be dependent on a few different things. RPM, drag coefficient, weight, gearing, etc..

Are you sure that 'Bama tune removed the stock speed limiter?

U.M.

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2009 C6ZO6
2005 Mustang V6 (Sold)
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)
post #10 of 12 Old 02-23-2018, 12:11 AM

Garage
I checked before the race and it was removed. I'd like to have a longer track to see what the car gets to with enough room. P zero Nero's don't hook up too good. I'd like some sticky tires so I can launch with a little more umph, a n2mb WOT module to help launch consistency and maybe those Ford cams for a few extra HP. Top that off with a dyno tune and that's it before a bigger turbo. The car and I will diet too, see if we can shed a few extra lbs for better hp/lbs ratio.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mustang Ecoboost Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page