Possible new ecoboost owner 2 questions - Mustang Ecoboost Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-15-2018, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Possible new ecoboost owner 2 questions

Ok I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a new ecoboost mustang this saturday. I have two questions. I normally drive hondas and love the reliablilty. How reliable can I expect this car overall to be compared to a honda. Second. I read somewhere that the newer ecoboosts have some sort of pcv catch can installed and do not need an aftermarket unit. Any truth to this.
post #2 of 4 Old 08-15-2018, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeboxer22 View Post
Ok I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a new ecoboost mustang this saturday. I have two questions. I normally drive hondas and love the reliablilty. How reliable can I expect this car overall to be compared to a honda. Second. I read somewhere that the newer ecoboosts have some sort of pcv catch can installed and do not need an aftermarket unit. Any truth to this.
I'm not going to try and compare Honda reliability to Ford reliability. However if you're buying a brand new Ecoboost then you will get a warranty which should take care of most any issues you have for the first couple years. If you're truly concerned about the reliability then add an extended warranty onto the standard bumper-to-bumper.

As for the PCV catch can there isn't one on a stock Ecoboost. There is a PCV system on the car which recirculates crankcase vapor and oily residue back into the intake tract just like all modern vehicles have. Part of that PCV system is the crankcase vent oil separator. Early Ecoboosts (2015-2016) were improperly fitted with low flow models which caused some blue smoke from the exhaust if the car sat and idled for a long time. A TSB was put out to cover this issue (TSB 15-0192) and it lists the new part number for the high flow version of the oil separator. It isn't a catch can though.

There are a lot of folks out there who feel an oil catch can is mandatory on the Ecoboosts regardless as to whether they are stock or modified. Many claim that because the engine is DI (Direct Injected) and no fuel is sprayed into the intake path there's a propensity for soot to build up on the top of the intake valves. I have yet to see any hard data on this one way or another. Personally I see no reason to install an aftermarket catch can on my stock Ecoboost. If however I was upping the boost over stock which results in more crankcase pressure then yes I would go ahead and possibly add a catch can.

U.M.

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2009 C6ZO6
2005 Mustang V6 (Sold)
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)
post #3 of 4 Old 08-29-2018, 07:08 AM

Yep just like he said , the reliability isn't really comparable but still nothing to worry that much about, I haven't had any problems with mine, big problems at least , just the usual stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-08-2019, 04:50 AM

we are very impressed with ford reliability we are using ford towing trucks for 24-hour Roadside Assistance, we have been using it for long time and the reliability is awesome we are satisfied.

Last edited by Uncle Meat; 03-12-2019 at 07:54 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mustang Ecoboost Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page