Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

Inoperative rear camera, trunk lid release, center brake light

6K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  cpc 
#1 · (Edited)
My 2017 convertible had developed a problem where the rear view camera, electronic trunk lid release and center brake light (located on the trunk lid) stopped working. I have read several other posts about these issues on other mustang forums and learned that owners have been stumped as to the root cause or what the solution is. After taking my car to the dealership, they informed me that some of my trunk lid harness wires were broken and this was causing the issues. Seems there is a Ford SSM bulletin that describes the problem and how to solve it. Bottom line is that additional slack must be added to the harness (by the dealer) to prevent it from being pinched between the trunk lid and the trunk lid frame (where the rubber seal resides). Please see link below:

https://ford.oemdtc.com/1634/inoper...ellite-radio-reception-2015-2017-ford-mustang

I hope this helps other owners who've experienced this issue. My repair was covered under my 36K mile warranty.

#2 ·
My warranty expires next month and I need to get my wife's Ecoboost in and have them check that. We've been having intermittent issues with the backup camera. Sometimes it works fine, other times the picture is very distorted and scrambled, other times it doesn't work at all and all we see is a white screen. This may be the cause...

U.M.

#3 ·
Yes, all of my problems were intermittent as well. It all depends how the wiring harness lines up after you close the deck lid. Once the wire(s) gets broken, things may fail if the harness happens to bend into the wrong position (like if you close the lid hard and fast). But if the harness bends correctly, the problem may appear to be fixed (at least temporarily).

#4 ·
I had a similar problem. After a little bit of dodgy work by the dealership, I was able to fix the rear camera myself. It turned out to be the shielding wire on the two-wire communication link. I added a little bit of travel and length to the harness by hanging it down with an additional tie-wrap.

Attachments

#6 ·
Ford has now issued a Safety Recall Notice 22S06 (NHTSA Recall 22V082) for the "rear view camera image being blank or distorted". Due to the fact that the rear camera cable is part of the trunk cable harness which also contains the trunk release and center brake light cables, I suspect the installation of Recall 22S06 will resolve all 3 problems I described in my original post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.