Catch can vs warranty - Mustang Ecoboost Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-17-2016, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Catch can vs warranty

I want to keep my Ecoboost for many years, so it would make sense to put an oil separator on it right away, but would Ford consider that an engine mod that voids the warranty? I'm not planning on racing or doing anything that would strain the engine, so I probably won't need the warranty, OTOH, why not keep it under warranty as long as possible? Anybody have any experience with Ford warranties and catch cans?

Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere. - Colin Chapman
post #2 of 4 Old 09-27-2016, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
My first question to you would be "Does your EcoBoost currently have the Upgraded PVC/oil separator from Ford"? Ford released a service bulletin a while back outlining the replacement of the stock PVC/oil separator with an upgraded/improved model. This was done in an effort to address the smoking issues some owners experienced when letting their car idle for more than 2 or 3 minutes.

Now as far as warranty is concerned... this is a touchy subject because it varies from dealership to dealership. IF you were to have a warranty issue arrive for an engine lubrication issue of some sort a dealership could deny warranty work because you are running a modified (not stock) part. I'm sure there's someone reading this screaming "Magnussen Moss Act"! "Magnussen Moss Act"! Yes we all know about the "Magnussen Moss Act, but do you have the time and money to go to court over a warranty repair if the dealership refuses to fix your car under warranty? Some dealerships are cool about things like this and other dealerships are real dicks and will deny your warranty and then annotate this fact in the Ford OASIS system so you can't get it fixed at any Ford dealership. Then you're really screwed.

So you could install one, but depending on the need for any future warranty work you may want to revert it to the stock system before taking it in. Of course if you needed warranty work for the stereo system or a malfunctioning turn signal you would be safe and could leave it installed, but ANY engine related warranty work may be a different story.

U.M.

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2009 C6ZO6
2005 Mustang V6
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)
post #3 of 4 Old 01-17-2017, 08:22 AM

Does the 2017 ecoboost have the upgraded PCV / oil separator?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-17-2017, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I would think so since the original message came out December 15, 2015. I would also think that most late run 2016's and all 2017's would have the new part factory installed already.

U.M.

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2009 C6ZO6
2005 Mustang V6
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mustang Ecoboost Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page