Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

EcoBoost Mustang vs Audi A5: Exteriors

13K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  Newport 
#1 ·
Like we did for the Mustang vs the 428i heres a little visual compare of the ecoboost mustang vs another key german rival, the A5.

See less See more
#6 ·
From a European point of view.... Too many Audi A4 / A5's on the road overhere, and boring indeed. The only one worth considering (my opinion) is the Mercedes CLA who brings something fresh....

Really convinced the ECOboost can be very succesful if it gets the right price. Next thing to look at is the mpg-L/Km and the CO² emissions which can be a real hic up tax wise to get these beauties on the road...

Wonder when this info will be available...

#12 · (Edited)
I noticed that in your profile pic. 67 rag tops truly are beautiful, my brother has a '67 in Acapulco Blue/White Top with the 289, Auto... Such a great Sunday car..

As for the CLA, I'm not sure how pricing is in Belgium but if you look at the CLA's base price in North America of $29,999 and compare it to NA 2014 Mustang prices you will find that the GT begins at $31K, with far more included kit. Plus if you compare the CLA AMG MSRP of $48K plus options and taxes, you can hop into a GT500 for $55K...

I am of the opinion that there is no comparison between the Mustang and the CLA. Although I suppose the big hurdle in Europe is not the MSRP but the registration fees...

#13 ·
Europe is complicated, Belgium even more...

Luckely some things changed over the past years but it remains expensive to get a US car imported.

One authorized Ford dealer specializes in import of mustang (for the Dutch speaking part of the country :
Ford Mustang garage Neyt (V6 convertible 2nd hand 21000Km from 2012 for 40.000 euro !!)

They take car of adjusting a couple of things to make the car compliant to the local regulations (rear fog light + extra reflectors...)

If you want to do the whole import process by yourself you need to pay a couple of Euros at customs !!

At the destination customs office in Belgium, youpay the following duties:

· Importduties. This amount is calculated based on the customs value and vehicle type.For a car, for example, this rate is set at 10%.

· VAT:21% of the sum of the customs value, the import duties and any extra fees.

When you finally have the car imported and paid, you have to pay an additional tax to get it on the road ! This tax is based on the CO² emission of the car and the Euronorm level from 0 to 6.
Once you finally got the car on the road you have to pay a yearly tax which is based on the Cubic Inch and Fiscal HorsePower...

So a 2.3l with low Co² emissions could finally make a difference...

The advantage of a +25yr old car is the fact all taxes are Fix and very low...With these cars it doesn't matter if it's 6.3l or 2l engine...That's why my 66 289Ci is a bargain 'taxwise'...

A last interesting difference is the fuel price which is 1.6 euro/lt ...

Makes sense ?

#14 ·
Europe is complicated, Belgium even more...

Luckely some things changed over the past years but it remains expensive to get a US car imported.

One authorized Ford dealer specializes in import of mustang (for the Dutch speaking part of the country :
Ford Mustang garage Neyt (V6 convertible 2nd hand 21000Km from 2012 for 40.000 euro !!)

They take car of adjusting a couple of things to make the car compliant to the local regulations (rear fog light + extra reflectors...)

If you want to do the whole import process by yourself you need to pay a couple of Euros at customs !!

At the destination customs office in Belgium, youpay the following duties:

· Importduties. This amount is calculated based on the customs value and vehicle type.For a car, for example, this rate is set at 10%.

· VAT:21% of the sum of the customs value, the import duties and any extra fees.

When you finally have the car imported and paid, you have to pay an additional tax to get it on the road ! This tax is based on the CO² emission of the car and the Euronorm level from 0 to 6.
Once you finally got the car on the road you have to pay a yearly tax which is based on the Cubic Inch and Fiscal HorsePower...

So a 2.3l with low Co² emissions could finally make a difference...

The advantage of a +25yr old car is the fact all taxes are Fix and very low...With these cars it doesn't matter if it's 6.3l or 2l engine...That's why my 66 289Ci is a bargain 'taxwise'...

A last interesting difference is the fuel price which is 1.6 euro/lt ...

Makes sense ?
Indeed!

SO in your opinion what numbers/levels does the Ecoboost need to show to make it a viable option for Europeans?

#15 ·
some figures of the competition overhere:

BMW
420i : CO² : 144 - 35.8K Euro
428i : CO² : 156 - 41.2K Euro

Audi A5 :
2.0 : CO² : 134 - 39.5K Euro
3.0 : CO² : 190 - 50K Euro

Euro 5 regulation

Fuel consumption 6.5 to 9L/100km

Ford needs a similar CO² efficiency (155 ?) and should be at max 35K Euro to be a really convincing and "no discussion" car.

Don't forget Ford clearly said it will remain a US car sold in Europe and not a European Mustang version...meaning some typical american roots will remain and this might not always be appreciated by everybody. I do appreciate most of them.

The 'how plastic' the interior will look and the leather touch & feel experience is very important compared with Audi & BMW.

Curious on the outcome...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.