Catless downpipe - Mustang Ecoboost Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 03-18-2016, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Catless downpipe

Installed my catless down pipe 2 days ago and the check engine light turned on. I've heard it's normal when running a catless dp without a turn. Now if I buy a Cobb accessport and use their ots tunes will it automatically turn off or do I need to get a custom tune for my car?
post #2 of 3 Old 03-18-2016, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_rosales View Post
Installed my catless down pipe 2 days ago and the check engine light turned on. I've heard it's normal when running a catless dp without a turn. Now if I buy a Cobb accessport and use their ots tunes will it automatically turn off or do I need to get a custom tune for my car?
The CEL is caused due to your O2 sensor. With no cat there's no need for a rear O2 sensor. You need to turn that sensor off in the tune.

If the OTS tune is specifically designed for use with a cat-less DP it will have the rear 02 sensor turned off in it I would think and it should cure your CEL. However I'm not familiar with a Cobb OTS tune and what the different parameter changes are. I just went to their website and read this though....

"COBB currently only has Off-the-shelf (OTS) maps available for the 2.3L EcoBoost Mustangs. Custom maps and custom tuning support will be available in the near future."

So after reading that I would say that you will in fact require a custom tune.

U.M.

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2009 C6ZO6
2005 Mustang V6
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)
post #3 of 3 Old 06-19-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_rosales View Post
You will get a CEL with the Cobb OTS maps. To eliminate that occurrence, you'd have to get a Protune (custom map) from a Cobb Protuner.

Some people make O2 foulers as a solution. It involves combining a couple of spark plug non-foulers that you can pick up at Advance Auto or AutoZone for a few bucks. Try Googling 'O2 fouler' and you'll quickly see what I'm referring to.

The best solution would be to have it turned off in the tune, but if you want it gone before you purchase a custom tune, then there's other options available.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mustang Ecoboost Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page