Muffler Choices - Mustang Ecoboost Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 09-17-2015, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Muffler Choices

Hi all,

I am new to the site. I've had 2 Mustangs but just picked up a 16 EcoBoost last week and I have some questions. I have had a local body shop delete the resonator and weld in a y-pipe. I am now looking to finish off the cat back with some axle backs or mufflers. The body shop says they can weld in Flowmaster Series 40 mufflers, or Magnaflow Street Series mufflers they carry in stock. Although, these are not specifically made for the EcoBoost. I am wondering, does this matter? If these are "universal", great. I just don't want problems with back pressure or hp decrease if the muffler isn't exactly for this car.

Thanks!
post #2 of 11 Old 09-18-2015, 11:00 AM

Cool Torque

Hi,
A performance muffler will lose 10 ft/lbs of torque at low rpm and gain 5 Hp over5 grand if you are lucky. A tune is the best bang for the buck.
Perry.
agwood likes this.

Factory ordered 2015 Mustang, Ruby Red, Automatic, Aluminum spare tire with jack.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-20-2015, 11:53 AM

there will be hardly any hp/tq gains with a catback...if yu want to change the sound
then go with the magnaflows..very deep sound....if yu want horsepower/torque
increase go with a tune..better bang for buck..
magnaflow makes a street series for the ecoboost setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-21-2015, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Gotcha, thanks!
post #5 of 11 Old 10-30-2015, 03:28 PM

Actually, the biggest thing is the exhaust pipes. The stock pipes are 2 1/2". Most of the catback systems are also 2 1/2". Just welding on any muffler will only be a minor improvement, most noticeably when you step on the gas. For what you're doing Competition/Race/Atak are ALWAYS going to give more sound than "Sport" or "Touring" mufflers. Also, you want a "straight-through" muffler. Chambered are garbage and a waste of money, IMO.

Also, I'm adding an MBRP catback Race exhaust system and it most DEFINITELY will add HP AND RWT! About 17 for each w/out a custom tune. A custom tune would bring the WHP to about 33 and SIGNIFICANTLY increase the torque. So the post that said catbacks won't add/take away HP/torque is mistaken.

Hope this helps whoever reads it!
post #6 of 11 Old 01-21-2016, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks bud!
post #7 of 11 Old 01-22-2016, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I highly suggest you find someone with a similar setup first and listen to their car. Although exhaust sound is very subjective, I'm finding that many of the available cat-backs & muffler options available for the '15 & '16 Ecoboosts sound like complete CRAP! I totally realize you'll never get a traditional "Mustang V8" sound out of this I-4, but I also know that I don't want it to sound like riced out Civic either.

I've been spending a lot of time on YouTube listening to different setup's. So far MAPerformance is the best sounding IMHO.

U.M.

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2009 C6ZO6
2005 Mustang V6
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)
post #8 of 11 Old 01-23-2016, 03:27 PM

Garage
Hey if you want a cheaper exhaust get a magnaflow Muffler 12288. to replace the resanater , run 2'5" out to the tips, should be able to get done for 500 at local muffler shop. sound like MAP system. https://youtu.be/ERoFkA5WBmo is the link.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-23-2016, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadb5 View Post
Hey if you want a cheaper exhaust get a magnaflow Muffler 12288. to replace the resanater , run 2'5" out to the tips, should be able to get done for 500 at local muffler shop. sound like MAP system. https://youtu.be/ERoFkA5WBmo is the link.
Unfortunately that video is not quite enough to make an assessment of your setup.

Sorry.

U.M.

P.S. Money is not the issue. I'd even spring for a titanium Akrapovic exhaust if it sounded right.

2016 Ecoboost Mustang
2009 C6ZO6
2005 Mustang V6
2003 Terminator (Sold)
2002 Mustang GT (Sold)
post #10 of 11 Old 01-24-2016, 08:39 PM

Garage
https://youtu.be/ERoFkA5WBmo is his 2nd video. It does sound good, IMO. I am budget minded but want quality at the same time. Depends on what you want, I use to like loud exhaust in my youth , but i want quiet power. maybe a little ruble when i mash it but no drone when cruz'in ,, its **** getting old.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mustang Ecoboost Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page