Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

Having hissing/sizzle noise in right speakers

30K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  michael neyland 
#1 ·
Hello, I got my Ecoboost Mustang 12/26/2014 & I've started to get a hissing/ sizzle noise in my right front speakers. I have the premium sound option with SYNC. The noise starts as soon as the car is in run position. Without the motor running, no heat fan on, nothing running at all. The noise persists when the car is running & is harder to notice with the defrosters running. Just wondering if anyone else has run into this issue. I'm not super happy to have an issue with the car before my first oil change.:crying:

#4 ·
noise all the time

Yea the static/sizzle is going on when I just get in the car. I work in audio visual department & when I told the techs they said bad speaker, well the laughter hasn't stopped. I found a forum listing a half dozen people with the same problem in Escape with Sony sound system. All started with speaker, then amp, self check, pin outs, and ended with replacing the ACM - Audio Control Module. I'm calling the dealer back in the morning & requesting he order on as the service guy that wrote up the ticket didn't think a bad speaker could be the cause. Does the problem with everything off, or in run mode ( pressing the start button with foot off break), or driving. I even turned off my phone as I've seen Nokia phones introduce ticking noises through systems we have on campus.

#5 ·
Yea the static/sizzle is going on when I just get in the car. I work in audio visual department & when I told the techs they said bad speaker, well the laughter hasn't stopped. I found a forum listing a half dozen people with the same problem in Escape with Sony sound system. All started with speaker, then amp, self check, pin outs, and ended with replacing the ACM - Audio Control Module. I'm calling the dealer back in the morning & requesting he order on as the service guy that wrote up the ticket didn't think a bad speaker could be the cause. Does the problem with everything off, or in run mode ( pressing the start button with foot off break), or driving. I even turned off my phone as I've seen Nokia phones introduce ticking noises through systems we have on campus.
Interesting, good info cheers! Keep us posted please...

#6 ·
Dealer will not order ACM

Called dealer this morning & passed on my findings. Was told Escape has different EcoBoost & wiring. Yea but same Sony stereo. Anyway I was told Ford has a protocol & the first step is replace the speaker. Here are two posts I found on a forum for Escape:

"Hello all. Justwanted to start this thread because of an ongoing issue I am having right nowwith my 2014 Titanium 2.0 Ecoboost with Sony sound system. Pretty much from dayone I have static in the passenger side ONLY channels, front and rear channels.There are a total of 6 speakers involved as the lower door speakers consist oftwo speakers, although it may appear to be a single speaker. You also have aseparately mounted tweeter up higher on the door panel.

I took the car backto the dealership and was diagnosed as bad speakers which I found a little hardto believe the whole passenger side would have all bad speakers. So theyreplaced them and when I went to pick the car up it STILL had static. Back tothe drawing board

The next visit I requested that they pull the Sony Amp thatis located in the Spare tire area and replace with another one from a new caron the lot which they did only to find we still had static. The next step wasto contact Ford engineering who had them run a radio self test, similar to howyou set up your home surround sound, where white noise is sent to each channelto test. Oddly enough the channels appeared to pass the test without staticaccording to the service tech which kind of puzzles me because the white noisesounds like static to me? So on to the next step of testing all the pin-outs onthe wiring harness to check for a grounding issue or loose wires, again thatwould be odd to have so many loose or bad connections. I am holding out toreserve judgment but something tells me I have a bad Radio head unit. Will postthe final results in case anyone else has a similar issue.... Stay tuned"

"ACM - Audio Control Module = Fix"

"Ok, finally got it back today but first a quick recap tosave others the trouble. After they replaced the speakers they thought were badand running an audio diagnostic and a pin out test to rule out grounding orfaulty wiring, they replaced the ACM (Audio Control Module) FIXED!! No morestatic at any volume. Doddington, I too had the same symptoms of static at lowor high volume. Tell your tech to test the ACM. Good luck and hope it savestime. They kept my car for a week while going back and forth with FordEngineering."

Sure sounds like the same Sony stereo issue to me & really a speaker needs input to make a noise. Hooked to an amp without any signal if the speaker makes a noise it's the input to the amp, or the amp, or wiring, or EMF from a short on the same ground from another piece of equipment. If the speaker makes a noise(static hiss crackle) with a signal driving it (radio cd) only & is silent without input THEN IT'S THE SPEAKER.
So I'll be getting up early Saturday (providing the magic speaker is received at the dealer) so I can say "told ya so" "1st attempt down 2 to go before lemon law is in effect" I think next stang I'll go with the "Radio Delete Option"

#8 ·
Sure will. Hope you keep us updated as well. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed it's in the stereo & not the stereo picking up a short going on somewhere else. These mechanics today, well a lot of them, are lost if they can't get an error code with instructions are lost.

I was working on a system I've got set up in my test rack at the University yesterday & got the same noise through one speaker on an amp that only shared a common ground to a control processor. The 24v hot from the control processor came loose & as I was reattaching it "sizzle sizzle" through the right speaker. The control processor was USB to my laptop & the headphone jack was going to a receiver with a pair of JBLs on my desk. Gave me a chill cause if that's what's up in the car... could be years before the find the cause!

Hearing someone else has the same issue leads me to believe it's contained to a problem in the sound system, probably that ACM module. Seems to be a digital sound processor (DSP) that blends system sounds, phone, radio, etc., and the automatic noise cancelling system.

BTW that noise cancelling system does not pipe in fake engine noise it takes your engine noise, turns it 180 degrees out of phase so it cancels the engine noise in the cabin-therefore yea you can hear the exhaust better. The same way noise cancelling headphones work to keep room noise out.

Wow, kind of went off there, hey does it make you crave a bacon cheeseburger hearing that darn sizzle noise? 1 1/2 hr. to College Park commute with that noise had me wanting some bacon for sure this morning!

#9 · (Edited)
Update - Speaker not the problem

The dealer replaced the speaker & the problem is still there. :rolleyes: Got sent on my way with a service ticked stating the problem is fixed & the car was washed all at no charge. Returned 5 min. later with the problem not fixed in a dirty car. Not happy.:( They could not do further work on the car on Saturday :confused:& I will have to return on Monday (loosing an hour or two from work) to drop the car off at the dealer & pick up a rental car. Now the rental car is at no charge to me but I'll be paying about $20 a day for the insurance. As lucky as I'm feeling I'm not risking my insurance going up if something bad happens. So I figure by Monday morning I'll be out 2 - 3 hr. vacation time & $20 on rental, + $15 to run it through the car wash because they didn't wash it = $85 - $105. :mad:

At least this time the service rep. sat in my car & let me show him exactly what the problem is & how to duplicate the problem.

#10 ·
The Story Continues...

Took Ruby back to the dealer yesterday (3rd visit) picked up the rental car & left Ruby for repair. Got a call lunchtime informing me the problem is the ACM - Audio Control Module :eek:imagine that! They ordered one & it will take approximately 2 to 4 days to arrive. I'm to drop her off again when the part arrives, get another rental, & see if they can fix it.

P.S.
If your approx. 6 foot 2 inches tall & 260 lb. don't rent a Focus, they don't come in our size! The last time I was that uncomfortable going down the road I was in a Porta-Pottie on a construction site & the lady foreman of the paint crew thought it would be funny to take her work van & scoot it about 10 feet down the street with me in it. What some people will do to get noticed by the opposite sex amazes me.

#11 ·
Update

5/18/2015 ACM has come in & was installed today. So far no more noise. I did have an issue with the fog lights not working for 10-15 min. Friday & Sat I did not have windshield washer for 25 min. The dealer checked for loose connections due to previous work on the stereo & so far everything seems to be fixed. 4 visits across 4 Mondays sucked in my opinion, but as long as everything keeps working I'll deal with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.