Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

Details of the 2.3 EcoBoost Engine

15K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  BoostedStang 
#1 ·
Today we have new lovely engine cutaway shots of the 2.3 EcoBoost for the S550 Mustang.

“This EcoBoost engine delivers where a Mustang driver expects it to, with a broad, flat torque curve that pours out when you stand on it for easy passing or hustling down a twisty road,” said Dave Pericak, Ford Mustang chief engineer.
twin independant cam timing allows the EcoBoost S550 to advance or retard timing as needed, to either manufacture more power where needed or maximize efficiency. Just make sure to use HIGH quality oil and filters or else you're going to gum up the phasers. The new Twin Scroll turbo setup uses a dual stream of exhaust inputs to prevent turbo lag at the bottom end of the rev band.

See less See more
#11 ·
It was only moving very slowly

no not like this though and not like VTEC LOL. it uses oil pressure to advance or retard timing on the valve springs instead of using 2 different cams.

I swear VTEC is similar

It also uses oil pressure and a electronic switch to activate pins that switch cam profiles. Its not 2 different cams either. its one cam with 2 sets of profiles

#13 ·
Honestly this 2.3 EcoBoost is going to make waves in Europe. Off the top of my head its going to be a great rival for the new 428i with its 2.0 4 cylinder Turbo, although the most intriguing to me is the S550 Ecoboosts potential to challenge the dominance of hot hatches with the younger generation of european petrol heads...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.