Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

Is the 2.7L EcoBoost a Possibility?

8K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Cannonball 
#1 ·

A bit of speculation today on my part, could the 2.7L Ecoboost V6 become a viable option for the Mustang in the Future? Personally I think so.

The 3.5L Ecoboost currently in the F-150, Taurus and Lincoln MKS was never EVER going to make its way under the hood of the Mustang for one simple reason, It would make the Coyota 5.0 look bad. Already the 3.5L Eco dwarfs 5.0 sales in the F150, a purely performance application like the Mustang would only exacerbate that.

The 2.7L however would still leave the Coyote as top dog while still offering a viable alternative. Ford released the specs on the 2.7L just this week and I have to say its fairly impressive. 325 hp and 375 lb-ft of torque. If you want a demonstration of the new Eco's potential under the hood of the Mustang check out this video Fords marketing people released of a drag race bewtween the 2.7L Eco in the F150 vs the Ram Ecodiesel and the Sivlerado with a 5.3L V8. Its the Silvy that is important here.

What do you think, does this engine have potential in the Mustang, or is it just one too many cooks in the kitchen?

See less See more
1 1
#3 ·
Not anytime soon. For the same reason you just noted for the 3.5! I think the 2.7 will slowly replace the 3.5 as Fords main powerfull engine. Like the 3.5 has done to the 4.6/5.4. But Ford needs to ride the V8 out a bit longer. I had a 3.5 f-150 and the whole time I dreamed to have it in a mustang

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.